"Advanced Inspection of Crawlspaces" online video course

A real lack of crawlspace areas in my area, almost always a full basement unless it’s a mobile home. Anyways, I just did an inspection of a basement structure and the photo below shows an engineered floor joist properly installed but it had a 14/2 wire ruin at the end of the joist resting on the sharp edge of the hanger. I’ll keep searching for a crawlspace and update this post accordingly.

I read the additional raging article titled “Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection”. Mold and fungus, pests and viruses, asbestos to structural issues. Makes you want to climb right in!

This is a crawlspace of a 100 year old house. There were many issues with this crawlspace: insulation, TPRV, vapor barrier, wiring… you name it.

crawlspace.JPG

I read “Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection” … very informative.

This was a educational video. Keep it simple and all is good.
I also have it easy with a clean crawl space with only a couple deficiencies.

This 6 mil vapor barrier appears to be installed correctly with at least 6" overlap an 6" inches up the walls.

crawlspace-vapor-barrier.jpg

Here’s a picture of a crawlspace access that’s blocked. Would I move the items in this instance? Probably, since it’s easy. Of greater concern though is the fact the access panel is also a vent for the utility room. The room is pretty small, and with the door closed there may be a problem with the amount of air available for proper combustion in the furnace and hot water heater.

2015-03-31 08.05.44.jpg

As part of a pre-licensing field inspection, the crawlspace of my house was inspected. Notable items included unsealed and uninsulated ducts, uninsulated hot water pipes and inconsistencies in the vapor barrier on the floor due to improper sealing at the seams.

Required photo:
Foundation picture as there is no crawlspace available.
Foundation of this home is in excellent condition. No cracking whatsoever.
No signs of any settling. only visible is the water absorption at the base causing slight discoloring of the paint.

20150402.jpg

Required report:
With a visual walk around of the foundation I found nothing deficient to report.
All grades flow away from foundation at all sides.

Required reading:
Crawlspace inspections and foundation insulation
The crawlspace is an integral part of the home to be inspected if possible. From water intrusion to excessive moisture, structural issues, insulation efficiency, and pest / pathogens and mold.
Also, because of the nature of the crawlspace it is important to be adequately protected as it can be a dangerous place to inspect.
The insulation of the foundation is important as to moisture vapor release and protection of duct and piping.

Looking forward to learning more about inspecting crawlspaces.

I read “Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection”. I guess if you really think about it crawlspaces might be the most undesirable place to go anywhere. The biggest take away is be prepared, because this is the worst part of the job.

Recent photo of a common thing I see, no junction box covers in crawlspaces and attics.

Structural Inspection

Inspection-Checklist-Form-Structural.pdf (50.1 KB)

Starting Course

For the additional reading portion of this course I read the article “Moisture Meters for Home Inspections.” Having never owed one I wanted to get a better understanding of how they operate. Looks like I should purchase the dual option moisture meter.

Sill plate is not sitting properly on foundation wall. Sill has been shimmed and there is a large gap between sill and foundation along wall at rear of home. This area will need proper reinforcement to ensure stability, and strength.

20150314.jpg

[Hi everyone,

He is a picture of a home on a raised foundation with a laundry closet in the middle of the home with the dryer vent extending into the crawlspace.

The dryer vent is not properly vented to the exterior of the home. This situation causes excess moisture and dryer lint buildup in the crawlspace. The lint can be a possible fire hazard and the excessive moisture can cause damage to the wood structure.

ATTACH]88239[/ATTACH]

Great course! Here is a picture of a crawlspace with a flexible duct going right through the opening, and it doesn’t look like much air can flow through it because it’s smashed down.

Frank Savino