"Advanced Inspection of Crawlspaces" online video course

Research & Writing Assignment:

I looked at an image of ductwork. If ductwork is run through a crawlspace it is important to seal the ductwork with mastic and not duct tape. If the space is un heated it is also important to make sure the ducts are insulated as un-insulated ducts can lose up to 40% of the heat value.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

My opinion as to personal protection equipment, first being gloves to
protect your hands. Also a very good personal protection equipment would be
to own a set of coveralls. Glasses would also be a very good personal
protection equipment so to protect from falling debris.

Never enter a crawlspace without personal protection equipment, such as
gloves. A crawlspace can have many hidden dangers such as mold
spores. Crawlspace can also have pests such as ants or even spiders.
Improper wiring can be a serious danger in a crawlspace.

The following is a crawl space from that has obvious signs of water penetration. The joists show evidence of salt deposits from water penetration and the insulation is falling from the obvious signs of water intrusion . The moisture levels in the joints have to checked to verify if the water damage is was from a previous leak or current one .

Ways to save energy in your home can save you money.
There are ways to cool your your home to reduce your energy bills.
Installing ceiling fans is a good way to cool your home instead of Hvac units and reduce costs.

In this crawlspace, the inspector must be careful of the hanging wires and debris. There is a required 18 inches in every crawlspace. An inspector should document everything that they see and don’t see in order to show and prove to the home owner that they indeed inspect that area.

Inside a crawlspace, there is a requirement to have a barrier on the floor. A minimum of 6 mil poly that is overlapped 6 inches. Home inspectors should be wearing knee pads while inspecting the crawlspace because underneath the barrier would be rocks or something living there.

I do not have a crawlspace to inspect so I inspected the bottom of the exterior walls. The picture shows masonry spalling next to a condensate drain from the AC system. Recommend further inspection and repipe of drain to move away from wall and foundation.

While reading the article Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection I learned about Hantavirus. Crawlspaces are the most likely space to come into contact with hantavirus because rodents that carry the pathogen prefer areas that are undisturbed by humans. The virus is also rapidly inactivated by UV light.

This is a picture of some metal duct work in a vented crawl space missing insulation and ducted through. The leaking air from the duct work will also contribute to the condensation in the crawlspace. The crawlspace was also loaded with fungus

Unvented conditioned crawl space Seems like the best route for under your home. You have full control of one of the most important areas of the home in prevent moisture related issues such as fungus, wood rot, condensation of the building materials and duct work

Besides the obvious things is this picture, of interest is the bucket. Inspection showed that it contained a sump pump with float switch, an inlet hose which appears to be the condensate drain line from the downdraft furnace above (there is central air), a discharge hose, and properly pitched drain line to the house exterior. Pump was operational when tested. While the execution may be a little “Rough”, the system appears full functional.

An inspected crawlspace was in structurally good condition, some efflorescence of foundation wall, but quite dry, with adequate vapor barrier in good condition. Pier posts were numerous, all in excellent condition, of untreated 4 x 4 construction. the peculiarity, however, was that the pier footings were poured level with the ground. The vapor barrier was placed over the footings, with no cuts as would be normal, posts were resting upon roofing squares. I believe IRC calls for the footings to be raised, however as said, we are not code inspectors. House age was about 30 years, I would be hard put to recommend any change. Thoughts?

Crawlspace Moisture: Since Water and moisture are the main destroyers of homes its very important to identify the presence of moisture in wood in crawlspaces . Using a moisture meter will identify a good wood reading of 12-16% which can be wood of new construction. Less that 12% is ideal. Excessive readings 0f 16-20% indicate a moisture problem that can eventually rot wood and reduce structural integrity.

Home Purchase Closing Costs. If you are buying a home and are short on cash you may be able to roll the loan closing costs into the mortgage loan itself. Sellers may be motivated to help with closing costs. Or the agent may credit a portion to closing. Its also possible to gain cash as a lender credit for a higher interest rate. Closing dates near the end of the month saves you money on your prepaid escrow and interest so this in turn lowers closing costs.

We inspected the crawlspace of the dwelling after the homeowner stated she heard animals moving around the duct work. Our inspection revealed areas of tape removed from the insulation which exposed the ducts. We saw multiple areas on the insulation which appeared to be traffic spots for animals. We explained to the homeowner she should have the insulation resealed to prevent animal entry and energy loss.

We reviewed an article on hazards of crawlspaces. Inspectors are exposed to numerous hazards when inspecting crawlspaces. A few of the many dangers to keep in mind are: mold; hantavirus; pests; structural collapse; and exposed wires in wet areas. It is important for the inspector to always be vigilant and to utilize PPE.

The area under this room is a crawlspace. There is rock on top of a vapor barrier however the barrier is not 6 mil. and has many tears and openings in it which almost makes it useless. The barrier should always be sealed at the joints and to the walls.

When inspecting a deck pay close attention to the ledger board. The ledger board connects directly to the structure. If installed incorrectly. the deck could pull away from the structure and cause injury to anyone on under or around the deck.

On Slab Floor
Overview: Home built in 1980, on cement slab.
This neighborhood was subject to ground disturbance from a vibrating road leveler on a nearby main road during road construction, in 2014. The development was build on fill taken from the man made lakes shown in the original plan for the neighborhood. The vibrating road leveler cause significant vibration felt throughout the neighborhood, rattling dishes, causing cracks in some patios, causing cracks in some exterior (cinder block construction / stucco covered ) and interior walls (sheet rock), and in this case, causing floor tile to separate from the cement slab.
This tile was double laid, so being two layers, it was particularly susceptible to separation. The separation has happened in about four areas. I removed both levels of tiles where I could, to look at the cement slab. I could not see any cracks in the cement slab. That’s not to say there aren’t any hidden under other areas of tile, but this settling did not seem to cause structural damage to this slab or house, the damage was limited to cosmetic damage.

(There are very few homes with crawlspaces in my area of South Florida, the ones that exist are found mostly under old cottage houses. And there were none I had access to, so I chose the Slab Floor option for this Advanced Crawlspaces Inspection course essay.)