"Advanced Inspection of Crawlspaces" online video course

This shows properly installed joist. The joist are engineered joists.

I completed my report for crawl spaces. I found using the checklist really helps a lot. I was a little worried at doing my first crawl space but it went well.

Most of our crawlspaces are less than 18" high. I have yet to find one with a vapor barrier and many of them are open the whole perimeter.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/airhead-kb/DSC00092_zpsdovnhufz.jpg

This was a educational video. Keep it simple and all is good.
I also have it easy with a clean crawl space with only a couple deficiencies.

No vapour barrier on this one plus the foundation is undermined by water coming in from the exterior. I suggest they get an engineers to evaluate this one.

Inspection of the crawl space went well. The checklist is a thing I’ll use more often as it ensures I don’t miss anything.

Regards

Gerald

No crawl space here, thought I’d snap a photo of the attic access. Measures 30"x30", plenty big enough to be above the min.

Afternoon everyone this is David from Harris home inspections attached picture is of the only crawlspace entrance to this house it is sealed it also has electrical line going under which it could be dangerous for shock it’s duly noted to the homeowner

Hi, David. Nice inspection image. One suggestion would be to dig a bit and see if you can at least stick your camera under or through the screening to get images of the crawlspace interior. By the way, you’re making great progress with your course completions. Keep going.

good info so far. Liked the video. Photo shows a badly rotted beam support post.

Rotted support post.jpg

Home has a poured concrete foundation. Access is through the perimeter foundation stem wall. Found no foundation cracks, no cutting, notches or other framing damage. No plumbing leaks, or visible evidence of excessive moisture or wood rot. The floor and the water supply pipes are insulated.

This is a view looking down behind a couch in the basement. The concrete patio on the other/outside of this wall sloped towards the property and was also separated from the structure leaving a gap for water intrusion. You can see that the wall is crumbling behind the paneling.

Just a pic of the basement ceiling structure of a property I inspected a little while ago.

Maine crawlspace below a 15 room motel. When they paved the parking lot they went to the edge of the wooden walkway in front of the doors. They neglected to properly direct the gutter downspout extensions away from the property with corresponding water flow (reverse pavement slope) resulted in water flowing under the structure, pooling in the center. The space was open air from the back and the lake of ice kicked a number of the supports out.

Crawlspace Picture.jpg

Water damage in a crawlspace.

Crawlspaces are difficult to traverse sometimes and keep all your tools clean.

I wear a disposable protective suit when in the crawlspace. I have a half face respirator and plan on purchasing a full face mask.

aaa.jpg

aaa.jpg

aaa.jpg

I saw a couple things. efflorescence on the bricks and a wire not properly connected above.

crawl space.jpg

A real lack of crawlspace areas in my area, almost always a full basement unless it’s a mobile home. Anyways, I just did an inspection of a basement structure and the photo below shows an engineered floor joist properly installed but it had a 14/2 wire ruin at the end of the joist resting on the sharp edge of the hanger. I’ll keep searching for a crawlspace and update this post accordingly.