"Advanced Inspection of Crawlspaces" online video course

Since it has been discovered in our area and I know someone who was infected with this I decided to read up on the article “Hantavirus Danger in Homes”. Trust me when I say watching a friend go through this shows just how scary this virus can be. PPE is vital.

This was a crawlspace I did last month. You will notice the cast iron pipe has corrosion and rust stain on the duct outer layer.

This is a crawlspace of a home I inspected a little while back. The ceiling was a radiant barrier insulation that is common (while maybe not entirely correct) in my area. The floor was covered with a 6 mil plastic acting as a vapor barrier.

This is a crawlspace of a home I inspected a little while back. The ceiling was a radiant barrier insulation that is common (while maybe not entirely correct) in my area. The floor was covered with a 6 mil plastic acting as a vapor barrier.

Inspecting crawl spaces. this house just went on the market here is lake county florida. this crawlspace has numerous problems. the house is only about 10 yrs old. nice brick on 1/2 acre.

as you see on one picture the home elevation and the drainage. the road is about 5 foof above finish floor and water drains straight toward the vents for crawl space(see picture ). the concrete around the vents, which are about 1 foot below grade and water just pours in during a good rain. signs in crawl space.

there is an access , however the floor joist run about 14 inch to 12 inches from finished earth. could not squeeze in. picture were mostly to dark but

signs of water running from front to back of crawl space, floor joists and beams to close to earth. where he spliced floor joists, they were nailed and not bolted. i do not know how he got away with nailing pattens on joists but who knowsl

i have done many inspections of crawl spaces, and like the video stated that you should check before interring , check for varmints etc.

the foundation is typical 12 by 16 inch with pored conc block foundation wall

thanks, mike

vents.jpg

accesscrawl space.jpg

outside drainage.jpg

appears to be water intrusion at slab.jpg

hello everyone

not many crawl spaces in my area so the below picture is of an elevator pit that is still under construction. the image shows the slab on grade construction of the adjacent buildings and columns of a second floor precast concrete deck system.

I also read the article on crawlspace hazards and it seems to cover a lot of what the video did. most hazards are easily avoided it seems if the proper common sence approaches are taken i.e. masks, PPE “personal protective equipment” gloves pads and proper clothes.

Great video, I learned so much about crawlspaces. I wish i had a picture to share but I cannot find a crawlspace to take a picture of. Great video!

Unfortunately I do not have access to a crawlspace to inspect at this time.

Required reading
Crawlspace Hazards and Inspection
This article mentions the dangers of hantavirus which is often carried by rodents. An inspector should be careful to avoid contact with any animals living under a home.

The lack of a crawlspace door. Animal droppings just inside.

Hello again all,

living in south florida has it’s disadvantage when looking for crawl spaces.

I am at a loss for a photo to share, but my old house was a converted barn and about 200 years old.
There were leaks everywhere you looked. Efflorescence obvious on all of the walls, pieces of rubber inner tube cut and clamped to
water supply pipes ( old galvanized) even some two pole conductors down there. I have seen plenty of defects.

Hi everyone:
I took these two pictures of a sump pump exit pipe. It is 1.5" Schedule. 40 PVC pipe , glued and elbowed down to grade level. The owner has removed the extension which lead away from the foundation probably so they could cut the grass. The other 2 items in the pictures are the outside hose bib and the GFCI electrical receptacle in it’s weather resistant enclosure.
thanks,
Nat

Hi everyone:
Cats and crawlspaces:

Aside from wildlife that may get into a crawlspace , it also can be a favorite hangout for a cat. Cats like to have quiet darkened spaces and often will explore and mark the spot as their area. I inspected a home that had a crawlspace with an earthen floor and had 6 mil poly covering it. I also saw the puddles where the owner cat had obviously visited lots of times. She didn’t have any idea until I showed her the pictures. She later had it screened off to block the animal’s entrance.
thanks
Nat

I have some pictures I’ll post after I finish the class.

Had to disclaim most of the plumbing and structural. Couldn’t see it through the insulation.

Made a note of the wood and debris left in the crawl.

Noted the lack of access and disclaimed this whole section of the crawl.

Great video course! Our area has lots of crawlspaces to explore…am I lucky, or what?

The following picture is of the outside of the crawlspace door, with enough room here at the door for pest entry and significant energy loss.
[ATTACH][ATTACH]91031

Flexible dryer hose running through the crawlspace. Dryer venting should be smooth wall metal with no flexible piping, which is a fire hazard.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I inspected a home with a crawlspace and found the following:

Dampness (an active seepage leak) was noted in areas of the crawl space, at the front wall. This can increase the risk of insect infestation, mildew and rot. Recommend locating and correcting the source of the dampness, which may include improving exterior drainage.

Dampness was noted in areas of the crawl space, at the front wall. This can increase the risk of insect infestation, mildew and
rot. Recommend locating and correcting the source of the dampness, which may include improving exterior drainage.

Improperly supported piping was observed in the crawl space. Plastic piping should be supported by rigid hangers, rather than metal strapping. Recommend proper pipe support be installed by a qualified contractor.

Old wood was noted in the crawlspace. Old wood may attract insects. Recommend removing to prevent unwanted insects or pests.

The float switch on the furnace condensation pump is not connected. This switch, when properly operating, will shut off the furnace if the condensation is not draining and water backs up into the line. Recommend properly connecting this float switch by qualified electrician.

The two articles I read to complete this course were “Doing Damage During an inspection: It’s your Job” and “Rodent Inspection.” The first article had an interesting perspective on accidental damage done by an inspector while going through the house. When such happens, as is inevitable, we should inform our clients that they should be glad it was US that did it and not a family member…and that we actually did them a favor by uncovering a problem area. :slight_smile: I like it!

The Rodent Inspection article was informative. I had no idea those little nasty things could cause so much harm and sickness. Think I’ll continue wearing my “bee suit” in crawlspaces, along with all my other PPE!

Great Video, learned a lot
:slight_smile:

Per class requirement, attached is a photo of water stains on an interior wall. You cannot see from this picture alone, but the water stains were evident near the ceiling tiles and flowing down to the floor, showing evidence of a water intrusion event occurring in the past.

I work in the inspection industry but am not actually an inspector, and am taking this course primarily as a means to get more educated about what my people are finding (or not finding) in crawlspaces. For the ‘inspect a crawlspace yourself’ portion, I looked into a crawlspace under a friend’s home with a flashlight, saw a whole mess of spiders and other stuff, and decided entering that space was not something I was going to do. From what I could see from the access point, it appeared that duct work was insulated, and vapor barrier present, but I couldn’t check for gaps or the like from where I was.