Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course

Radon is a radioactive gas that has been found in homes all over the United States. It comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water, and gets into the air that you breathe. Radon typically moves up through the ground to the air above, and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation.

Hey guys my just recently become a licensed home inspector and wanted to get certified in radon testing

Hi Robert,

Thanks for letting us know! The site is so big that even though we try to update as often as possible, we still end up missing things here and there. The picture has been corrected to say Plated Out now.

So I’m in the process of becoming a CPI, and I want to hit the ground running, so I want to provide radon test. The NACHI course is great but it draws from a bunch of different sources, none of which (IMHO) provide a helpful breakdown of the various types of testing devices.

So I did a search and came across this page, which I think does a great job of describing the various devices and how they work: http://www.iem-inc.com/information/radiation-sources/radon/radon-measurements

Is this the only course required to become an Internachi Certified Radon Inspector?

I am wondering the same thing. I see references in the forum about a basic course but I don;t see it on the website unless it is the Indoor Air Quality Course.

1 Like

Yes, you will receive the cert once you have completed this course.

I believe the matrix for Short-Term and Long-Term Follow-Up Testing needs to be updated. As per the Citizen’s Guide to Radon on EPA website:

‘The higher your initial short-term test result, the more certain you can be that you should take a short-term rather than a long-term follow up test. If your first short-term test result is more than twice EPA’s 4 pCi/L action level, you should take a second short-term test immediately.’

So the level shouldn’t be 10 for immediate short-term test, it should be 8. But in my opinion, if the second test is performed only to have the result averaged with the first for a mitigation decision, there is 0 value in doing one. The reason I make this statement is because there is no level that the second test can report that will cause the average with a level >= 8 pCi/L to be less than 4 pCi/L. So why tell someone to do another short-term test if you are going to average it and tell them to mitigate no matter the result? Even if the thought process is to perform another short-term test for the purpose of proving >8 was not a fluke, which test to you believe? Do you then recommend a third as a tie breaker? This process would quickly begin looking like a scam and that isn’t good for anyone.

I would honestly prefer to tell someone straight up that if you want to make a decision based on a short-term test result, do so and know that even if your year-round average was less than 4 pCi/L, mitigation will still improve the home and that’s a positive thing. Sure, it can be expensive to mitigate, and sure I am in business to make money, but I also have to look at myself everyday.

Ready to take this radon course to further my knowledge and provide more services for clients! wish me luck

Looking to star

Hello all, I just became a CPI and working on my Illinois license now. Just started in on this course to expand my field and help more clients.

Starting the course

Hello this is Rafael De La O all set to get started on the advance radon measurement service provider course. Grateful to have this resource available. Will be taking Pennsylvania state exam at the completion of this course. Good luck to everyone.

Hello, This is Eric McGovern. Getting ready to be radon certified and make my days even busier!

Congratulations

How did you make out taking the exam?