Advertise correctly

Good time to push your advertising in Ontario as a high profile case against soft home inspectorworks amkes noteriaty. Make this work in your favour. Tell your prospective clients how you inspect. Just like you were on at home inspection. Market all your distinctions. Grandfathered CMI, CPI, etc.

Even the CSA are promoting their standard.

Good luck.

IMO… GRANDFATHERED anything is the LAST thing I would advertise to gain more business. Don’t know about in Canada, but in the U.S., “grandfathered in” basically means you were given something for free solely because you belonged to a certain club for a time prior to something becoming active. All kinds of RED flags are raised whenever this term is used in conjunction with anything meant to be meaningful!

Thank you Jeffrey - I fully agree. What is wrong with earning it?

On another note as a follow-up to the first post by Robert - Yes home inspectors can make mistakes, but this from the comments below the headlines provides another valid POV - “This decision by the judge rests on one legal tenet, and one tenet only, as noted by Martin within the last sentence of the first paragraph: “…all because he reported on a significant defect verbally, rather than in writing.” All other arguments are irrelevant.”

When will clients assume their own shortcomings and stop blaming the home inspector?

On another note I find it appalling that home owners in far too many inspections seem to be not available to actually question or at least query them about conditions found. Of course some Realtors prefer that to be the case so the disclosure is now the inspectors risk to deal with.

There are many cases that could be cited, and certainly not just the target of one or two associations, or just one of many provinces in Canada. So let’s be honest about just hand picking just one case to prove your point!

Thank you Robert, Jeff and Claude.

Advertising you were grandfathered is not a good approach for all the reasons listed by Jeff and then some. Certainly trying to capitalize by marketing another Colleague’s bad circumstance (error or otherwise) is probably also not the greatest plan (good 'ol karma can be a *****).

If our Colleague had a shortcoming, hopefully next time more caution will be used. If his practice remains unchanged, well…

Totally agree with Claude: It is not just one Association/province which has issues: Inspectors are human after all.

Best regards,
Pat

Getting much work?

The reason I hand picked one prominent case is, because of it’s significance.
An authority and provincial president. Buyers should not be left with big bills when home inspectors miss defects. Henceforth E&O and the courts.

Stockdale of Home Sweet Home Inspections returned to her house, looked at the problems and offered to refund her the $565 inspection fee.
There have been many a discussion over refunding the inspection fee.

I concur consumers should be held accountable have had said so for years.

As to designations, it is a marketer, no matter to what degree, that an achievement has been passed. If a provincial government recognised that then it holds bearing. Market your designations and everything you have to offer.

The CMI is the only designation that has grandfather home inspectors in Canada. I see some disagree and want to block that loophole and are InterNACHI members as well.

Funny you use InterNACHI as a marketing poly. Actually, hilarious.

Robert - So once again I ask, who grandfathered CMI’s? I have not seen an answer from you other than an earlier reference to the Province of Alberta. You stated -" The CMI is the only designation that has grandfather home inspectors in Canada."

If you check the website the RHI, NHI and CMI as well as CMHI also got recognition, but certainly not by “grandfathering”. All still had to meet certain benchmarks to get earn a license to practice.

Again directly from the Service Alberta website:An approved home inspection designation includes:

CMI (Certified Master Inspector) granted by the Master Inspector Certification Boards, Inc.
RHI (Registered Home Inspector) granted by CAHPI (Alberta) (Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors (Alberta))
Associate Inspector from CAHPI (Alberta)
NHI (National Home Inspector) from the National Home Inspector Certification Council (NHICC)
CMHI (Certified Master Home Inspector) granted by CanNACHI (Canadian National Association of Certified Home Inspectors)
A licence from an approved regulatory body includes:

Home Inspector licence from Consumer Protection BC

Claude, a friendly piece of advice.

What about agreeing with individuals that fudge numbers or troll realtors?

Email, Greg Mathias, CCHI, CMI (NACHI10013006) | Trustee
GPI Lloydminster
I am sure he will be forthcoming and not sway from the truth like other associations with half ties to InterNACHI “THAT WISH TO BLOCK THAT LOOPHOLE.”
Right Len?

Greg Mathias posted online that Vern as well as other members did not promote the designation and were surprised when Alberta adopted to allow all CMI’s to be grandfathered into the licensing process.

I really don’t want to get dragged into this but it looks like you have said a couple of falsehoods that need to be cleared up.

1. I would have never said that they did not promote the CMI designation. They promoted the hell out of it to the Alberta government. Although they did this, they were still surprised that the designation was adopted because CAPHI spits lobbied so hard to not adopt it.

2. I am not sure what “truth” you want me to come up with.

3. I do not know of a single CMI that was grandfathered in. I know of at least one that was given the designation by Nick for all of the hard work he put in to promote it here in Canada.

4. Did you know that there was an entire committee dedicated to licensing and Vern was not even the head of it? There were 5 gentleman on the committee and two of these individuals was assigned to the government committee. One of those was Vern.

Just a few facts for you to mull over. Please leave me out of it. I don’t have the time or the patience for it.

Claude, Gregg had more to say as the process as it developed.
Being accepted into the process is what it achieved.
Designations matter.
InterNACHI members had to meet many requirements before they were accepted into the licensing process.
from what I heard, there was a bias mindset towards InterNACHI “BEING PART OF THE PROCESS.”

As well, why would someone, an InterNACHI CHAPTER member as well as a secretary of an Ontario association wish to block the process singling out only one designation when Ontario prepares for licensing?
Truly troubling.
All designations matter.

I ask the inspector to explain his remarks here.

Thank you for your calcification.
That is why I hoped you would clarify the matter.

I do not want to retrieve what you posted in earlier threads but repeat your own words.“they were still surprised that the designation was adopted because CAPHI spits lobbied so hard to not adopt it.”
So promoting it or not, they were still surprised.
Thank you.

So now I go back to BC’s CAPHI Stockdale of Home Sweet Home Inspections who used to be the president of the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors of B.C. I can see how certain associations lobbying provincial governments becoming a bit of a burly line now. He was the sitting president at the time.

Just clarifying matters.

As well I thought I heard the secretary of OntaioACHI say he will try to block that loophole.
Hopefully he comes into the conversation as well.
He can explain to everyone what he meant.

Being accused of trolling is offence for the secretary of an Association to promote.
I am just trying to tie up all the loose ends so everyone has a clear picture.

I never said he headed the committee.
Vern helped.

I hope that helps.

Just to clarify the government should explain better;
A licence from an approved regulatory body includes:Home Inspector licence from Consumer Protection BC.
CMI (Certified Master Inspector) granted by the Master Inspector Certification Boards, Inc.
RHI (Registered Home Inspector) granted by CAHPI (Alberta) (Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors (Alberta))
Associate Inspector from CAHPI (Alberta)
NHI (National Home Inspector) from the National Home Inspector Certification Council (NHICC)
CMHI (Certified Master Home Inspector) granted by CanNACHI (Canadian National Association of Certified Home Inspectors)

Thank you for your clarification.

You forgot CCHI in Alberta and Ontario and I believe Phpic http://www.phpic.ca/?Language=ENG&ID=1

Scott in fairness the PHPIC was not recognized in Alberta. However, it is acknowledged as a home inspection designation in Canada in general, but not in Alberta or BC for licensing.

Similar to another designation PHPIC’s and another associations highest level is with an agreement with the NHICC, where the exams are taken to the next level for certification at arm’s length by recognition 3rd party status.

The designations recognized that I posted in my response are directly from Service Alberta (the licensing body) of the Alberta government for home inspectors. Currently through Inter-provincial Mobility agreement between BC and Alberta the CCHI is also recognized. (So thanks for noting that).

Cheers…

Robert again I’m not sure of your point raised about the former CAHPI-BC president’s lawsuit. I can name another and likely more, but the point being anyone can be named to a lawsuit regardless of their status. Home inspectors are simply not infallible.

Do we need to go to the level of collecting data on win/losses per association? I think not. I don’t believe there any association for home inspectors out there that has not had a member not sued.

On another note - just because an officer or board member is sued or has a personal comment to offer does not make them subject to closed opinion with freedom of speech. As an example if you claim to be holding one of those positions, would the same “rules” not apply?

Robert, respectfully remain open minded, and don’t believe or espouse that everything you hear or have information on or about has any truth to it until you have gathered ALL of the FACTS to make it so. Hearsay is widespread these days, so proceed with caution.

There’s a lot of information out there - but as some claim there’s also a lot of FAKE NEWS!

I concur. Anyone can make a mistake.

Consumer Confidence is paramount.
By returning to Denton’s home and offering her the money back, what she paid for the home inspection, crossed a line. He admitted guilt.
The well polished narratives do not constitute trust. He held a provincial position and should have navigated the complaint as a professional.

I have inspected many homes of that cerca. Traditional stucco home. The structure is paramount.
He missed the very basics of what we as home inspectors educate on. Sill plate, posts and beams. The very beginning of structure.

Now you see why many home inspectors probe wood. She grabbed the wood sill plate with her fingers as it disintegrated in front of the camera.

1: He should not have offered her money back.
He should have taken pictures, consoled the new homeowner that he would retreat to his home and reflected on the matter thoroughly.
If he took enough images and limitations implied he would tell her.
By offering her the money back constitutes he made an error.

I would have called my E&O company personally to hold myself accountable if it turned out I made errors or omissions. Shameful way for the president of BC CAPHI to approach a client. It could have been resolved professionally.

Good point Scott.

I feel PHPIC is an asset to the Canadian home inspection industry. They have become a sterling representative helping home inspectors under Allan Spisak. They should feel proud of their accomplishments. I am sure Gilles Larin would have added much needed improvements when he was interim seated president in 2011.
PS: I could be mistaken on the year.

The CCHI was developed as a means to proctor exams. InterNACHI Alberta members did a great job. As you well know, not so long ago much disdain was aimed at exams being completed from the comfort of your home. InterNACHI was one such educator being targeted.

Thank you for your thoughts.
All the best Scott.
Robert