Advice on state required parallel inspections

Originally Posted By: Paul Tejan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have passed the required state certified inspection course and passed the Arizona State Exam. The problem now is that I live in a small city, Lake Havasu City, Arizona and there are about 6 inspectors in town. I?m concerned that they will be less than thrilled to help me since I?ll be in direct competition. The Arizona state requires 30 parallel inspections signed by a certified inspector. I am hoping for some advice on how to approach them or someone near me that could help me.

Originally Posted By: tallen

The school I attended also offered the 30 inspections.They paid a local inspector to take me out for the 30. What school did you go to?

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks for the information. I used Allied Business Schools, in California. It was a correspondence type course. They are DETC approved. It’s where my wife did her real estate courses.

What city is Dan Harris located?

He is in the Pheonix area. Do a search on the BTR website for all HI’s in AZ and start by calling the ones at least 75 miles away. I just mentioned Dan as he was the first one that came to mind.

Best wishes ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: mcraig

It is good to see you direct new HI’s to the BTR web sight you will need to use one of the listed HI’s on the sight to get certified (Unless there listed on the Ride list the BTR may not except them and then they won’t except you too) icon_cry.gif The next thing that was just brought to my attention is that who ever you ride with has to sign you off as being qualified they put there certification on the line for you if you are not qualified they get blasted too. So be careful there are HI’s charging for ride alongs then not signing you off they say you are not qualified and you cant do anything about it. Pick the best one that will be fair to you. I would take you out and it is my intention to be on this list some day but I am not so good luck It is hard so hang in there.

I did not know they had a ride list. Good info thanks Michael icon_biggrin.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: dharris

Paul and other future az inspectors

Like Michael stated the training inspectors can be held liable for incorrect/ not state compliant reports. Make sure the training inspector will provide proper training to help you get the reports compliant, along with signing off that they are compliant. [ The 30 reports need to be signed off by a certified inspector before submitting them]

There are alot of guys looking to get ride along inspections I get 3-4 requests a month for ride alongs.

My suggestion to new inspectors prior to spending time and money on ride alongs is after completing a state approved 80 hour HI course

[1] complete the state required test
[2] determine what reporting system you are going to use,
[3] perform inspections on your home and friends and provide the training inspector a copy for review to confirm that your reports are state compliant
[4] contact 4or 5 inspectors to get your 30 insp. allowing you to see different ways guys perform inspections
[5] Keep a open mind, You will most likely find your training is just the minium of what you will need to know to be succesful and state certified in this business

If you have a copy of a completed report feel free to send it to me, I'll review it at no charge to help you determine if it meets state requirements.

One of the longest delays to getting certified is that sample reports are non compliant

The BTR has a check list to help you determine that your reports meet standards, that I recommend using prior to sending in your 5 sample reports

There is a good excellent training inspection seminar
[ inspecting a 1920s house ] with 60 plus inspectors,[ a excellent opportunity to meet training inspectors ] in prescott, july 16th open to all for a nominal fee
If you complete a full inspection at this home I believe that can be # 1 of the 30 as long as it meets all requirements

Send me a email if you want additional info,

Dan Harris
Inspect Az www.inspectaz.com
email dan @inspectaz.com

This may have been posted prior, but here its again

If your in the Phoenix area, Saturdays at 12-2 there is a home inspection

radio program 1010 am [ The Home Inspector]

Hosted by Scott Warga, If you have any additional questions Scott has a lot of home inspection and certificiation requirments knowelge

First I would like to thank everyone for very help full information. I went out to BTR and made a list of everyone in my area. Not a lot of inspectors in these areas.

I have been researching inspection software. I am trying to find software that will help reduce liability and not produce an alarming report, also providing a lot of real content. I am looking at 3D software, Porter Valley InspectVue, HomeGuage and The Uniform Building Inspection Report software.

Meanwhile I had scanned in the BTR report check list sheet to Word and was going to use it verbatim for the 30 parallel inspections. Is this not right? Would it better to purchase software program first. I would prefer not to.

What a great opportunity at the Prescott seminar. How do I sign up? I?ll be there! Thanks for mentioning it Dan.
![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

That information on the 1920’s home inspection would be great for any home inspector, If you haven’t done a historic home you will be amazed at what you can find, I devote a high percent of my business to them and I see something new every time I step in to one. This seminar would be great for all. Sign up and enjoy it. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. Before some one ask's no I am not the instructor ( I am still working on my teaching certification but I hope to teach this some day)

Nick,

Where are those horror houses all over the country?

Not only is this type of seminar a source of seeing different things, it also exposes inspectors to other inspectors views,

More often than not, If there are 50 different inspectors present there often 50 different opinions of how to report the defects.

The saying opinions are like As- H---- as everyone has one, it is often true in this business

Originally Posted By: Joel Corwith

Paul Tejan wrote:
First I would like to thank everyone for very help full information. I went out to BTR and made a list of everyone in my area. Not a lot of inspectors in these areas.

Not sure if schools would be up to you paying for tag alongs, but we managed to complete all 30 inspections during the month of class. The additional price of the "with inspections" course was considerably less than 30 inspections at the $35-50 tag-along rate I was hearing. We had one student from Yuma and one from Colorado paying R&B during that time as well!

I have been researching inspection software. I am trying to find software that will help reduce liability and not produce an alarming report, also providing a lot of real content. I am looking at 3D software, Porter Valley InspectVue, HomeGuage and The Uniform Building Inspection Report software.

It will drive you mad,... don't even bother!! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) (I still haven't decided,...) As we discussed in class, it's going to depend if you work for someone or on your own. I've reviewed several paper formats I like, but I have a horrible spelling/handwriting. I'm leaning toward software and there are some great tips if you search the message boards (though no "buy this one" clarity!).

Meanwhile I had scanned in the BTR report check list sheet to Word and was going to use it verbatim for the 30 parallel inspections. Is this not right?

I'm not sure what you mean "scanned in", all required forms are available at the BTR website:
http://www.btr.state.az.us/

Would it better to purchase software program first. I would prefer not to.

As far as can be determined, no one will ever see the 30 reports, the signed list of 30 is all that is required (plus the 5 formal) so whatever recording method you use is up to you. However, I believe it a good idea to identify the system or systems you wish to consider and spend the time learning/exploring their features (ask about demos). For us, a classmate researched and arranged a large purchase of AISI reports (to AZ SOP) which we used for the 30 (+ 5 formal).

What a great opportunity at the Prescott seminar. How do I sign up? I?ll be there! Thanks for mentioning it Dan.

After spending the day outside {Saturday} a day outside the valley would be welcome relief!!

Joel. phx

You do need to have copys of all the 30 reports, The BTR can randomly ask anyone for these at any time, and if “God forbid you or the Inspector that signed you off on the 30 reports has a charge filed with the BTR they will ask to see all of them to show your continued competency and complience to the state standards”. I have kept copys of every report I have ever writen ( even the 30 I did when I was getting my Certification) The BTR when making a ruling on an issue with your certification and your complience has no other way to judge your abilities than to ask for your reports for evaluation, If you don’t have good reports that are consitent they will determine you do not always folow the standards and might rule against you and cost you your certification and money to a customer. This is a business you need to take it seriously you can’t skimp and follow standards only when you feel like it all of your reports from the first one to the last must follow the same format you must be consistant this is the one thing that costs most HI’s there certification.

Originally Posted By: Joel Corwith

mcraig wrote:
This is a business you need to take it seriously you can't skimp and follow standards only when you feel like it all of your reports from the first one to the last must follow the same format you must be consistent this is the one thing that costs most HI's there certification.

I was certainly -NOT- suggesting he skip the 30 reports or take short cuts into certification.

All reports have to be completed to the standards. That does NOT mean he has to word the {30} reports in a liability minimizing way (which his attorney may suggest for customers) or use the same format for every report.

You are suggesting the BTR ignores the rules and revokes certifications based on formatting of the reports and not the coverage of the standards. Do you have example cases where the information was correct but the license was revoked?

What if an inspector decides to switch from printed to computer generated or add photos as his business grows,... he can't? After a court case he can't add minimizing language? After talking with a hundred customers and various real estate people (contractors,... and NACHI meetings) I can't imagine that the 100th report won't have improved over the 5th let alone be identical.

Joel. phx