Afci

http://www.ul.com/regulators/clicks.cfm?ID=41&table=TechLibIndex

I hate for my first post to be a critical one, but, here goes.

Does it concern anyone else that a new home inspector does not even know what an AFCI is?
Is it true that you can be a legal home inspector simply after taking an online course?

Speedy,

I am sure you know me over in the “Do It Yourself” forum as one of the moderators “ElectricalMan”.

No it does not concern most of us educators because that is what we are here for to help them learn, If they were flamed for asking a question they just might not ask it.

Speedy it depends on the state you are in if you can take an online course and conduct inspections, most you simply can’t but just like some states that let home owners do their own electrical work or in fact in some states you don’t have to be an electrical contractor or licensed to bid and do electrical work .

Have you ever noticed that the home study ad’s you see on TV not only say Home Inspector but many say become an electrcian as well.

To be honest with you regardless of if someone agree’s the HI need only know that the AFCI functions properly…as they simply conduct the test to verify this as they do not need to explain the function to the client.

Now many DO go that extra mile and attend classes and do much cont. education as well as taking the online electrical class offered by NACHI to help gain them more knowledge.

These boards are for those exact types of questions, some people ask even if they know the answer simply to reassure themselves they are on the right track.

In fact I don’t recall a single question on my Master Electrical Exam, Journeymans Exam, ICC Inspectors Exam and well…frankly any that ask HOW it works…simply where they are required…but I understand your position and we are working VERY hard to educate as many as possible and that is why this forum is here…:slight_smile:

BTW…Welcome to the Forum…see the good think about THIS forum is members can ask these questions…take other organizations where they SHUT the door and only members can view them…it is controlled.

Also I believe the original poster was refering to the NACHI Electrical online course and not a online home inspection course…not sure their are any…but their are home study courses.

Everyone is NEW at some point in their life…:wink:

BTW…feel free to take the online electrical course…

http://education.nachi.org/show.php?element_id=187&course_id=13

Actually…AFCI receptacles…should be AFCI Breakers…but they are coming…:slight_smile: will be out before 2008 is adopted…sigh:(

Ok, but what if a H-I does a test and it trips properly, and they go looking for an AFCI receptacle? See what I am getting at.

That said, I DO understand your point and explanation. It’s just that over the past few years, as the H-I world has boomed, I have seen and heard some very suspect reports from so called “licensed home inspectors”. Especially with regard to electrical.

BYW- Yes, I did recognise you from DIY forums. I am also familiar with Joe T from the electrical contractor boards.

lol…beat you to that speedy…lol…I think they just got the verbage mixed up…you kinda have to have been answering these for awhile to know which direction they were really going…

I understand your concerns…THATS why ME and JOE are here…and why GREG comes in and WHY you are more than welcome to post away to HELP educate them…we all learn something new everyday…:slight_smile:

The same could be said for some electrical contractors today…BOY the work I see from new guys and new contractors make me CRINDGE thinking about it yet it passes the local AHJ…go figure.

Look at it this way…HI’s will see things WE as electricians may never see because we may NEVER get back in that house again…and the HI has to learn ALOT about many topics…they can’t be EXPERT in every field…

The founder of NACHI made a HUGE move to start increasing the education process of NACHI and…well…it is working …HI’s here are some of the BEST in the industry and it is a pleasure helping them…I don’t get paid to do this…only when I do a seminar…and we put in WAY more time here helping than we do in Seminars…

Except maybe JOE T…that fella FLY’s everywhere…:slight_smile:

Actually…I don’t care HOW stupid the question may appear to be to the new HI…they should ask it.

Now I get dozens of e-mails asking me questions that HI’s feel they are afraid to ask on the boards…GUYS…don’t be afraid…

The only way to build a better relationship with the electrican trade and electricians as a whole is through education…a stupid quesion is one that is not asked…

OK,

Question: Is a bidet a toilet? What if there was only a bidet in a room with a basin, would that be considered as a bathroom defined as one with a basin and one or more of the following: Toilet, tub or a shower?

Whay are receptacles not allowed in a tub?

Speedy Petey? Who are you?

I don’t know we use to always send the new (smart elic) helpers to the truck to get a box of amps. I loved it when they came back and could not find them.:wink:

Question 1 #
Bidets are principally used to wash and clean the external genitalia and the anus, as well as the skin near these areas. They may also be used to clean any other part of the body; they are very convenient for cleaning the feet for example. Despite appearing similar to a toilet, it would be more accurate to compare it to the washbasin or bathtub. In fact, the bidet makes an excellent baby bath. Anyone who has mobility problems and finds it difficult to get into a bathtub, or is afraid of slipping in the shower, may find a bidet an excellent solution for maintaining personal hygiene.
Users who are unfamiliar with bidets often confuse a bidet with a urinal, toilet, or even a drinking fountain. The user should use the toilet before using the bidet; its purpose is to wash afterwards. It is generally understood that you should sit on a bidet facing the tap and nozzle, however that is not necessarily the case. It’s just as efficient and, some say, less awkward with your back to the tap and wall.

The NEC defines the bathroom as an area including a basin with a toilet, a tub, or a shower. So chances of having a “bidet” in a room without a toilet or a sink is remote…the “bidet” is the THIRD wheel…makes no difference in the equation in my opinion based on the official status of the “Bidet”

Question 2# - Because NEC forbids it under Section 406.8(C)

Question 3# - Speedy offers advice over at a DIY forum and I believe he is also an electrical contractor.

Forgot to add the disclaimer - I do not use a Bidet…I just SPLASH em’

Paul pretty much nailed all three questions.
Especially #1 :mrgreen:

I am also an electrical mod on another board and frequent several others. Including ECN and Mike Holt’s site.

Great to have ya stop by Speedy…remember your efforts to help make others BETTER at what they do…make YOU better at enjoying what YOU do…:slight_smile: