Age Minimum

Originally Posted By: Michael Trupkiewicz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

First off i would like to say hello to all of you out there.

Recently i have developed an interest in the home inspection industry mostly b/c of another interest that I currently have, investing in real estate. I figure the more I know the better off I will be when I make offers on future potential houses. Obtaining certification in home inpections will have 2 advantages, knowledge and an ability to save a few hundred bucks per a house. With that being said my goal is to eventually offer my services to others in the form of my own home inspection business. Here is my situation-I have a half brother that is only 16, i am 34, he is one of the brightest, hard working and driven to succeed people i know(of any age). I would love to get him into a business like this to start BUT is there an AGE MINIMUM. Any responses would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: dharris

Hi Michael

I've heard of surveys stating the average age of home inspectors being 45-50, but no mention of a minimum age
I think one reason younger guys fail to make it, is the customers perception[ whether write or wrong] of older inspectors being better,
another being younger guys fail to have the necessary funds to get this business like any other bus off the ground

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Welcome to NACHI!

A good first thing to do is to soak up as much info off of these boards as you can stomach.

What city (big) are you near? That will help others on this board give you advice about schools.

Wish I would have had a board like this at 16 to learn from. Your half brother is fortunate to have you looking out for him..

Lastly, post as much as you need to. We are all at different stages of the game so any question is fair game. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Richard W Washington
www.rwhomeinspections.com

45-50yrs old for an avg. makes me at 34 a youngin and should my brother get involved at 16 he will really put a dent in that avg. I definitely understand the perception statement, fortunately this profession from what i have been reading, is meet the client on the day of the inspection and not prior. Hopefully with me there and the fact that real estate transactions in most cases are time sensitive all will go well.

As for the nearest major city, I live in New Jersey about 35 minutes from a small place called New York City. I would like to add how impressed I am with every single part of this website and cannot wait to be able to join. Need to pass the test.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Minimum age to drink here is 21. aiwebs_023.gif

Originally Posted By: psabados

Michael

One thing that may be a serious drawback for your brother would be the fact that insurance coverage may not be attainable for him as he is a minor. Professional training schools might not accept him either. That and you should check into the NJ licensing laws also, could be a restriction there too.

Good luck though

Paul

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

I can certainly relate to the age being a factor. Although I am 33, most people I meet think I am in my early 20’s. Often when I meet a client they kind of look at me like, is he old enough to do this. One person even asked me what School I attend and if I just do this in the summer. Another person asked me if this was my fathers business and if I was working for him during the summer. I feel like I will be better received once I hit 40 or so.

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Michael Trupkiewicz wrote:
fortunately this profession from what i have been reading, is meet the client on the day of the inspection and not prior. Hopefully with me there and the fact that real estate transactions in most cases are time sensitive all will go well.

When it comes to court cases, it is unfortunatle that many clients do not have a viable opportunity to find another inspector with the time contraints. That is why it is preferable to get your contract to the client ahead of time (fax, internet, etc) So they have the opportunity to find another inspector if they are not willing to sign your contract.

I'd hate to see what the courts would do should he ever get sued ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Michael Trupkiewicz wrote:
With that being said my goal is to eventually offer my services to others in the form of my own home inspection business.

It might be better for the both of you to have him work for you as an assistant for a few years. He can make some money and learn not just the technical side of things but also how to handle dealing with clients. You will be able to preform the inspections faster and hopefully be able to complete more inspections in the same time period.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: mbartels

You hit the nail on the head with the age factor.

As far as I know I am the youngest HI around my area and this board.

The biggest disadvantage you will face is when marketing to realtors. Most of the good ones have kids my age and would never give me a chance. I do get all kinds of looks when I show up at a job. Things are always a little weird until after the inspection when they realize I actually know what I’m talking about.

I would recommend using the next few years for training and education.

Good luck

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Matthew, how old are ya? I might have you beat in this neck of the woods.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Nope. Sorry.

icon_smile.gif

I got ya beat.

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

Originally Posted By: ekartal

dharris wrote:

I've heard of surveys stating the average age of home inspectors being 45-50

Career changers. Tired of having a f#&k boss. ![eusa_angel.gif](upload://guXNB3zlC4V9sI8GwITkSYBYxY8.gif)

Excellent points from all, thanks. It probably will have to be an assistant type position for him b/c all that everyone mentioned.

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

There is no age requirements in the Jersey Statutes and Regulations, but you do have to be a high school graduate.

Originally Posted By: gwells

Well, I have to say this is one of the very few benefits of being middle-aged and being hair-challenged!

We used to have a furniture company in the Detroit area whose slogan was "You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Joshua Door".

I get a lot of mileage out of being in my late 40's and and looking even older. It's not something I try to do. It just happens. Most of my clients are younger than I am, many of them are professionals. I am like them having an uncle in the home inspection business.

I got my electrical contractor's license at the tender young age of 23. They went by hours logged in those days so as soon as I had my documented 16,000 hours I was taking the exam. I quite my job and went into the electrical business. I have always looked a little older than I really am but it wasn't enough. Life was rough! Nobody would take a 23 year old kid seriously. I gave it up after four years and went back to "working for the man", as we used to say.

Unfortunately, the world hasn't changed much in the last 25 years in that respect. Now, guys in the 45-50 range can't get a job for a big company. The big companies (at least around here) see us as being all used up. Home inspection is one of the few areas where we have an advantage because of our age.