Age of house cost

Zip code favoring does not work in my area. Wealthy and not so well off all live and shop the the same stores. Kind of…
I have my ISN calculator mimicking the nachi online calculator I have set to my liking. I find offering an instant quote, the nachi calculator is my quickest option. It’s been working for me.

There ya go. I should do the same for our “ritzy” multi-million dollar zips.

Same here in Atlanta. Especially due to the high level of gentrification going on. One street could be high end homes and one street over has yet to have been flipped.

1 Like

I live in the same zip code as Charles Schwab, Hank Williams jr and Huey Lewis. And I heard the governor of California just bought a property near me. I don’t have that kind of money. :joy:

I just tried that on a sample property. The price was high in my opinion. I have a pretty good feel for the market. However I might be a little low. I book 99% of my calls while thinking I am a bit high. Maybe time for a price recalibration.

1 Like

You can adjust multipliers as needed. I tweaked them some.

1 Like

Also, that gives me a base line. If I’m swamped I might double the mileage if it’s a trek for example. I might increase or decrease the price as needed.

1 Like

I am crushed right now.

This was my sample. I booked an inspection for tomorrow. 2 bedroom 1 bath 1950 bungalow, 1300 sq feet. I booked it at $425, its 18 minutes away. Nachi said $538. I am not feeling $538. But, $475 might have still have won the day. I am going to start playing with it while I am so busy.

2 Likes

I don’t price based on what they can afford. I price based on how much work it will be.

So I charge more for slums and less for nice new clean homes. I let the hungry new inspectors fight over the cheap houses.

5 Likes

Yep. I am probably the worst guy to ask about pricing. I charge what I think I can get and what I want for the job. And, I am a bit different than you Bert. You must call me for a quote. Not knocking your online pricing at all. People want up front cost information and you give them that benefit.

1 Like

Morning, Richard.
Hope this post finds you well.

I charge more for various reasons. I have 2 home inspection, age of building cost rules.
1: Pre 1950. $50.00 caveat.
The hunt is more involved. Your liability increases.
a: Structure not typical. b: Electrical. c: Plumbing. d: Toxic material.
2: Century home/building, residences built 100 years ago, or older, $100.00+ caveat.
The hunt is much more involved. Your liability significantly increases.
a: Structure. b: Electrical. c: Plumbing.d: Toxic material.
The treasure hunt becomes extremely involved looking for systems or components ‘in plain sight’ but significantly marginalized within the surroundings.
Hope that helps.

All the best with your endeavors.
Robert Young

For me age is not a factor, I’ve been in some 5 YO houses that were in worse shape and took longer to inspect than some 105 YO houses.

The determining factors of how long an inspection can take is directly related to how well the house has been maintained and if the work done over time was properly performed. And at least for me, the condition is unknown until I get there and start inspecting.

So my primary charge is based on Sq. Ft. of the home, but I do charge extra for crawls, detached structures, Pools, Radon & Lateral Scopes.

Just did this beauty recently.

2 Likes

I used the Inachi Home Inspection Calculator when I was inspecting and found it to work real well, since you can choose variable charges.
InterNACHI® - Int’l Association of Certified Home Inspectors

3 Likes

Hi Jennifur!
Thanks for considering me to perform your home inspection.
I understand & respect this is an important transaction & promise
to give it my very best effort.
The link for the Standard of Practice I use is at: www.nachi.org/sop.htm
The inspection includes the State Statutory Termite & Wind Mitigation Insurance reports, pool, visual mold and an extensive labeled picture file.

I’ve attached the permit search, all closed out.
I use a fee calculator from the International Assoc of Certified Home Inspectors (see below).
It came out to $927.00.
The calculator does not include the Termite & WindMit, pool, mold but it is included at no additional fee.
Scheduled for Wednesday May 5 9:30AM with your approval.

Thank you for your trust & business.
Marc A. Goldenberg 954-326-2679
State Certified Inspector License #HI1365
State Certified Mold Assessor License #MRSA1573
State Certified Termite-Lawn & Ornamental-Pest Control License #2446

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Home Inspection Fee Calculator
Results
The suggested bid for this job is:
$927.79
Details
Base Price $350.00
Property Size: 4507 square feet $360.56
Distance Traveled: 21 miles $42.00
Property Age: 54 years $175.23
Total $927.79

5 Likes

That is a nice confirmation of appointment letter.

2 Likes

I agree. Very nice, Marc! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you.
Actually, I call it the “intro email”. Saved for the file.
Most of my stuff is high end referral based so I have them send/text me name, address, email & tell them you’ll be receiving an email detailing everything they can expect with the fee. Works for me.
:cowboy_hat_face:

The base fee is bumped to $350, 12.5 cent sq ft., 2 bucks/mile, $3.20/year.

3 Likes

Worked well for me too Marc on my high-end homes in my area.
Most of them were under 2200 s.f… LOL

But it did come with 75 acres.

5 Likes

I use one I created from the InterNachi Calculator that Marcel noted and from one that Larry Kage shared some years ago.
I also try to look up the home pictures, etc on the internet before I quote. It is not an exact science. It is important to cover your hours inspecting and writing of the report.

3 Likes

I add 20% for houses built before 1950. Inspectors aren’t supposed to give personal opinions, but on old houses I show the client a picture of a car for the year the house was built, and add that “imagine the added effort to maintain a car like this that has had 10 owners and work done on it by 50 people, some not pros. Not to mention the change is safety regulations over ten decades.” That puts things in perspective for them a little. Sometimes you have to manage expectations, especially for first time buyers that are looking at 100 year old houses and spending all of their money on the purchase.

3 Likes