age of inspectors

Originally Posted By: dharris
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just an observation from a young guy wondering who’s going to replace me when I get old

On most of the photos of nachi chapter meetings, and local meetings of the other org meetings locally, I notice a lot of balding and grey haired old guys.
Makes me wonder, Why aren't the younger inspectors attending these vaulable seminars?

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I attend as much as I can. As a newer inspector, I know I have a lot to learn. icon_biggrin.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jvanloo

Dan,

As I got into this field at a younger age. I have had contact with you over that last year or so. Most of you emails or posts have tried to discourage me from this profession telling me I would never have enough training. Do you wonder why I would want to attend meetings with people of this sort? Not really... because I have had more support from other people who are not discouraged by younger inspectors entering this field. So I choose to educate myself through those people instead of attend the chapter meetings.

--
Jason Van Loo
480.730.1526 fax
homeinspectorguy@cox.net

Americana Inspection Services

Tempe, AZ

Originally Posted By: dcarroll

I resemble that remark. It’s probably because those young whipper-snappers think they know it all. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Anyone know where I can find my own data plate? I’d like to check if I’m old or beyond my life expectancy.

Richard Moore

Rest Assured Inspection Services

Seattle, WA

www.rainspect.com

I don’t know it all but everyone needs to start somewhere. That is why I frequent this board to expand my knowledge. I enjoy learning from the veterans because I hope to have a long career in the industry. My point is that I would never discourage anyone from entering the field if they truely desire.

Jason Van Loo

480.730.1526 fax

homeinspectorguy@cox.net

Tempe, AZ

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

I kinda like older inspectors that are going bald or are bald and have that sophisicated graying. Not only that, I think I’m starting to adjust to these trifocals. See ya all at the Chapter meetings. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dharris

Jason

If you re-read the emails you will note that I stated that you would need a lot more education and training that what you were getting from the home study course you took.

Yes you can learn some from this site, but you would be surprised what you are missing by not attending local cont. ed from your own area and listening to the war stories that local experienced inspectors are willing to share with the new guys in an attempt to help them not make the same mistakes they made starting out.

If you figure this information is an attemt to keep you from this business

Good Luck

Originally Posted By: mcraig

I have found in life that I learn better by hands on. In earlier years I did a lot of home study class’s but I then needed to get my hands in to what I was studying. In this business you need to expierence home systems this does not come from only reading about it you have to get your hands in there. I am thankful for the hands on learning that Dan Harris and others from other organizations have shared with me. Jason You are missing a wealth of information if you don’t take Dan up on help here in town. You contacted me last month and were going to meet with me then canceled, You know it may seem to you that all of us (over 50) old farts are trying to discourage you but this is not true we are trying to shift threw the new guys that really are going to make it. This is a lot of work in spite of some people thinking this is a quick way to rich’s it is not like all business’s it is hard to start out for your first year. I now choose who I am going to help If I help some one then they screw up with my clients I have to deal with the damage control as I get older I don’t have time to devote to people who will make HI’s look bad we are professionals and I like to be treated that way.

michael,

I still would like to take you up on lunch. I apologize for not getting back to you. Being sick for 2 weeks with broncitis has kind of left me in the dumper. I know there is a lot to learn that is why instead of the state mandated 30 inspections I did 60. I continue to do parallel inspections with the inspector that trained me. I did not take a home study course. I am sure Dan is very helpful and knows a great deal but I thought some of his messages were discouraging.

--
Jason Van Loo
480.730.1526 fax
homeinspectorguy@cox.net

Tempe, AZ

Originally Posted By: ssopha

I wish I have some old farts around here that are as willing to impart knowledge of home inspection as Micheal. I have no such luck so far… icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

My Local org meetings are like that…all with gray hair. I’m getting that way, but I’m also pretty close to the youngest. I think many of the older guys just got into this in the past 5-8 years…much like many that have tired of working for the “man” and wanting to try it out on their own. Not many young guys out there with a large background in construction practices…takes awhile to aquire knowledge enough to strike out on your own…of course there are exceptions to every rule!

I think they call it a mid-life crisis! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector