Alcoholics Annonymous (AA) is misquoting the Serenity Prayer.

Like I said, that’s exactly the point.

Pray to know something? No, that would make me a robot. And it would make it completely God’s fault for not granting me it. And I’d have known not drink in the first place.

The real Serenity Prayer asks for the tools to use. Enough brains to analyze and figure out the right thing to do, and not just with regard to me. The freedom to even fail at first, then change. “To distinguish” puts the burden on me to use my wisdom to think and decide. It really is a beautiful prayer.

The context of this “prayer” is lost in your interpretation outside of the process of recovery.

Since you are not IN recovery, the attempt to apply AA’s version will not work for you - just like Jihad doesn’t work for you outside of the Muslim belief system.

That assumes AA gave it some thought before changing each line of a 3-line prayer. It turns out (as Michael explains in post #12), it was just a simple mistake by a newspaper that misquoted it from someone trying to recite it from memory.

Anyway, it’s corrected now. I’ll email AA today and alert them.

By all means, please do so :smiley:

Big changes ahead :slight_smile:

Will AA no longer be the worlds oldest and largest 12 step program?

The power of words

Yep, words matter. John 1:1

God,
Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.

Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.

Amen.

That sounds like the Serenity Prayer… but it isn’t.

Here is the original and correct Serenity Prayer by Karl Paul Reinhold Nieburh in its entirety:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

The prayer i posted has helped me stay sober for 21 years. you do what you like, this one works for me!

It’s not at all bad.

Nothing changes if nothing changes…

That was a very mean, insensitive, and harsh statement. I am sure many here do not agree with your statement. I know I don’t.

Re: Alcoholics Annonymous (AA) is misquoting the Serenity Prayer.
That was a very mean, insensitive, and harsh statement. I am sure many here do not agree with your statement. I know I don’t.

From InterNACHI Inspection Forum - Reply to Topic http://www.nachi.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1030469#ixzz2alTmGQan

I agree with Thomas. Alcohol addiction is a demon that is hard to manage. Been there, done that.

“Hard to manage?” :lol: That shows how little you actually know about addiction. No disrespect of course - “not-understanding” is actually a silent blessing.

I look at all my demons as management problems, including my alcoholism.