Aluminum Exhaust Pipe?

I inspected a home today that had this square box and exhaust pipe on it. This box leads off of a space that has a mini split system on it so my first instinct is that this is part of that system. The installer grabbed some gutter downspout and used it for the exhaust pipe. Obviously this can’t be correct. I’ve looked up the manufacturers installation instructions and they make no mention of the correct exhaust piping material. Can you guys help me figure out what I’m looking at and if I’m on the right track? Much appreciated!

Wall hung electric mini-splits don’t have an “exhaust pipe”.
What is in the box?

I see the refrigerant line set and condensation water drain tube from mini-splits routed in all sorts of chases, incuding gutters as well.

I can see staining at connections and on sidewalls. Mini-splits are typically heat-pumps. In fact, I have never seen a gas fired one or even know if it is possible.

What is on the opposite side of the box? Have a mini-split model number? Was there radon mitigation? Downdraft kitchen vent? The possibilities are endless

Unfortunately, there’s no access door to easily look at what’s inside. I’d have to start dismantling things to take this box apart. I saw black discoloration on the eave where the mouth of this thing discharges next to the roof. As far as I can tell, it’s only an exhaust rather than a conduit.

Welcome to our forum, Jarett!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

It could be an exhaust pipe…I’ve seen worse e.g. under siding, copper, and of course more gutter downspout, etc. But, lets hope not, eh? LOL!

1 Like

Saw those stains as well. I just can’t tell if it’s heat related or moisture related. Now that you mention it, the mini-split actually says heat pump on the manufacturer’s plate. You may be right. The other side has a ceiling mounted intake & registers combo in a square format. That intake is mounted too high for it to be part of this system. This system appears to be contained in the basement ceiling.

Everything about it is telling me that it is. Unfortunately they had a massive couch up against the wall where this thing is mounted and I couldn’t see behind it well enough to see if there was anything mounted behind it. Still beats finding squirrels nesting in a crawlspace any day!

1 Like

Saw those stains as well. I just can’t tell if it’s heat related or moisture related. Now that you mention it, the mini-split actually says heat pump on the manufacturer’s plate. You may be right. The other side has a ceiling mounted intake & registers combo in a square format. That intake is mounted too high for it to be part of this system. This system appears to be contained in the basement ceiling.

Going with @bcawhern1 here on the Radon mitigation fan. The venting is not proper and the staining is most likely due to moisture from not sealing the connections on a improper material install.

This is a radon mitigation fan available on the market.

radon

4 Likes

That makes sense! I appreciate it!

1 Like