Aluminum siding dripping

Originally Posted By: MattByrne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a house with aluminum siding. Recently I have noticed a brown liquid dripping from a nail hole in the siding about 5 feet up from the surface. Does anyone know what this might be?

I have not seen this from any other spot in the house. Could it be rust? The house has had a carpenter and problem in the past.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Originally Posted By: Guest

Exfiltration from the interior carrying moisture is driven through the wall, through the felt and condenses on the back of the cold siding. The water picks up color on its way through the dusty insulation and the felt.

There are other possible causes, but in my experience this is likely.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea what the best way to fix this would be?

Originally Posted By: Guest

There too many possible causes to discuss a remedy. If it’s forced air heat make sure the returns are adequate, keep indoor humidity levels lower, actually run stove and bath exhaust fans while they’re in use, DON’T use vent free gas appliances like fireplaces and stoves. Don’t use kerosene heaters.

Im not sure if it would help with the diagnosis, but the dripping is happening near the floor of a bathroom where the tile has been separating from the wall. There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom.

I'm just finishing a remodel of the upstairs bathroom. It sounds like I'll have to gut the downstairs one now too.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt