Aluminum Wiring

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I remember back in the days when Maverick and Paladin were on TV, Kaiser Aluminum was touting the virtues of the “new” aluminum wire. They were also selling Jeeps.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

gbeaumont wrote:
Hi to all,

Jerry P wrote:
Maserati Birdcage which raced at Sebring

What wouldn't you give to have that in the garage now ??

Every now and then I think about that car, and that Kaiser-Darren, they would be the ones "I almost" bought which would be worth the most now.

Quote:
I am also a classics fan, my personal favorite owned back in the UK was a car "never built" a 1967 Daimler Soverign (never sold here) A jaguar 420 (not the 420G) it had 4 speed with overdrive and chrome wires (never an option on the Daimler model) was a 1968 spec with AC and rear window defrost the best car Jaguar/Daimler sold in the 60's.

These are the Jags I've owned:
1954 MK VII
1954 XK 140 (did a body off restoration on it - "restoration" is the wrong word, more like "rebuilding" and "customizing", because I did it ground up - every single part came off the frame and up - but I attached the 'front bonnet' to the front fenders and made the entire front end tip forward like the E-Type does - there was just not enough working space around the engine otherwise)
1959 MK II
1960 MK II
1967 E-Type (fastest long drive I ever made in this was Gainesville to Tampa, about 125-135 miles, in 55 minutes)
1972 XJ 6
(did my own work, rebuilt the engines-2 of them, whatever they needed)

Greatest Jags I've had the fantastic opportunity to "drive":
1957 D-Type at Sebring - drove it down the parking area, it was there for the Old timers race before the race. There is no way anyone who owns one would let you drive one now - to valuable.
1931-33 SS (not sure what year it was) [ Image: (not a good photo of one, but this was the car) ] Got to drive this around Gainesville, FL for about 30 minutes - what a treat.

Quote:
OK back to aluminium wiring

Why? What is aluminum wiring? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Quote:
Why? What is aluminum wiring?

Jerry, just imagine aluminum wiring but built by Lucas could anything be worse. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

gbeaumont wrote:
Hi to all'

Quote:

Jerry, just imagine aluminum wiring but built by Lucas could anything be worse. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Regards

Gerry

Did those houses shut down in the rain too?

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Greg Fretwell wrote:
gbeaumont wrote:
Hi to all'

Quote:

Regards

Gerry

Did those houses shut down in the rain too?

Gerry, Greg,

It's safer whenever it's off.

Maybe that was a built-in safety feature?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida