amp draw testing

Originally Posted By: Keith Baldwin
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone test the amp draw for heat pumps and air handlers?

Originally Posted By: poffenberger

WHY

Originally Posted By: rwashington

do not.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I do on all condenser units, but it isn’t required by any SOP that I know of. I was told if the actual draw exceeds the RLA + motor amps it may well indicate a problem with the equipment. I haven’t run across a problem that way yet, but I’m always gonna check out the disconnect wiring anyway, so I’m right there. It’s not a big thing, just a small one.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

If the amperage draw is more than 115% of the RLA of the nameplate the thermal overloads inherent in the motor should trip. I see no reason to measure amperage draw. Why work on energizewd equipment if you don’t have to?

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Ryan Jackson wrote:
If the amperage draw is more than 115% of the RLA of the nameplate the thermal overloads inherent in the motor should trip. I see no reason to measure amperage draw. Why work on energizewd equipment if you don't have to?

The operative word there is "should". It's not a big thing, just some small CYA. And as I said, I'm always going to be inside the disconnect anyway to check the wiring. Anyone who isn't comfortable doing it shouldn't do it.