Anchor straps on mobiles

Originally Posted By: mpettitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Florida question: Trying to find out how often (in feet) does a mobile need to be strapped for anti-tip / wind resistance, and why there should not be any piers within 3 feet of the end of the structure. thanks

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Mike,

This question would be answered best by a P.E. (as this is a matter of design). Having said that, the governing standard that the anchoring systems for manufactured housing must meet is ASCE 7-88.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Russel is right … if you are concerned about the tie-downs, or something doesn’t look right bail to a PE.

You can also try calling local building departments to see if they have any specific requirements, and I have a few links on mobile home/trailer anchors I can share ...

Basic Info/Requirements ... http://www.anchortight.com/services/

FL Regulations ... http://casey.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Forms/BMHRV/15C1Finl.pdf

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Mike,

Up here in the Florida panhandle the mobile home tie down inspection has to be done by an engineering firm/individual. The thing I have run into is different requirements by each county as far as spacing, placement, etc. Call a local mobile home moving company to get some idea of what the requirements are and they will probably have the names of the P.E.'s they are familiar with. I routinely talk to people in the various other disciplines to find out things. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: mpettitt

Thanks everyone for their input and links. Nothing looked suspicious, a customer just asked. Just want to know for future reference. I’ll give a call to a M.H. installer.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Most Mobile Home Movers and installers along with the mobile home seller would be well abreast of the requirements to meet to local code requirements for the particular area.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

The Manufacture Home builder includes a PE stamped foundation design and installation instruction for there units, for the area of construction. Most local codes will defer to the manufacture home builder stamped PE foundation design. The use of earth anchors spacing could be checked out at your State Manufacture Housing Division for they check for placement of tie down anchors.

Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI

Viking Construction Services Inc.