Angies List

Note true. But reviews by non-members do not affect the contractor’s rating.

Whether you did work for someone, had a contract with them, or not…they can still review their interaction with you. If you are rude on the phone, don’t return calls, etc. you can get a negative review on Angie’s List. You can go online and give your side of the story, however. The rational reader will understand a negative review once in a while from a crackpot. Just give your explanation of what happened and be done with it. It makes the complainer look petty.

True Joe, in my case I replied as a contractor I could choose not to provide a service for any reason I wanted excluding racist or prejudicial views. I simply said I didn’t think we were a good fit. In the end I saw no change in business.

Joe H,

If you decide to move forward with a class action suit let me know, I would like to get in on it.

I thought I had deleted all my info concerning the issue I had with Angie’s List a few years back but I just found it all in a folder and would happy to send you what I have.

You may not have to be a paid member, but in order to write a review you must fill out a detailed application with a lot of personal info. Then the review is not visible to the public. I can’t see too many people going to all of that trouble to write a review, unless it’s negative.

For the record I am not a paid member of Angie’s List and never have been.

Angie’s list is a scam, many people think that people on there don’t pay for a listing but in fact many do pay. They call and harrass me to be a payed advertiser. I had a problem with the yellow pages where I had a bad review for client I never worked for. As I researched the person that wrote the review and I found they were a professional bad reviewer, I contacted the yellow pages and they said nothing they could do and I provided them my info and explained not only would they loose my business I would sue over it, it was gone in 72 hrs lol

Jeff
Www.adamsinspectionservice.com

It’s not a “scam”. It’s a legitimate business trying to make money in a capitalist economy. It’s obvious to all but the most obtuse which vendors are paying for advertising.

How is AL different from the BBB?

it was initially free for me to sign up. after I solicited past customers for reviews, my cost to stay with angies list was over 600 bucks/ yr.
I get several inspections a year from them. maybe a dozen? IDK

they want me to pay a fee to have a store front deal (so I offer a coupon). then they want people to pay through their site so i get double dicounted as they take a percentage.
I agree they need major changes or they wont be around much longer

essentially the same.

Not the same as the BBB works for and to protect and market the businesses, not so with Angie’s which advertises they are there to protect and get deals for their members.

With the BBB you are the member, with Angie’s your a paid advertiser.

On the coupon deal, I have heard of a few offers where they ask the business offer a steep discount. Home inspection 50% off, and Angie’s takes a cut from the 50% you get so if its a $300 inspection you do it for $150, Angie’s collects the money and sends you $100 telling you it will get your name out there. The problem with discounts is when and how do you turn them off?

I have free listing, no paid ones. not certain if it got me any work or not…