Another BC Idea

I see too many things wrong… Roy

http://www.theprovince.com/crawl+space/4151966/story.html

Shell Busey, The ProvinceJanuary 23, 2011 12:06 AM

Q: We have a crawl space with a cement floor. We recently had a home inspection, and were advised to seal the crawl space vents. The inspector also advised us to insulate our crawl space and increase the insulation in our attic. Which task should we take care of first? Thanks. Ken
A: Ceiling first, second crawl space; cut a piece of foam insulation to sit in front of vents in the winter months and remove in the spring.
Crawl spaces become a forgotten area in many homes, as they are normally dark and smelly. Here is what to do:

1. Consider installing a Humidex crawl space ventilation device to control odours and high humidity levels. You can find out more about the Humidex products and the location of a dealer near you by visiting their website at www.humidex.caor calling their toll-free number at 1-800-416-9111.
  2. Wash the entire area using the Shell Busey Home cleaning formula, rinse well and allow it to dry.
  3. Apply Aqua Seal concrete sealer (Available from Cloverdale Paint and Windsor Plywood Stores) to entire floor and concrete walls. Apply by puddling it out on to the floor, allowing it to really seep into the concrete and rolling with a heavy nap roller; allow it to dry.
  4. Apply 1 1/2-inch rigid foam insulation to all walls from the underside of the floor joists 24 inches below outside ground grade level; this has an adhesive for this application to make the job nice and easy.
  5. Insulate using batt insulation and vapour barrier between joists over top of concrete foundation wall and seal with acoustical caulking. Roxul Insulation is an excellent choice for this area, available at all Building Supply Centres.
  6. Apply Reflectix foil insulation to the underside of floor joists. Staple to the floor joists and wherever there is a seam, be sure to tape it with the recommended tape for the Reflectix product. To locate Reflectix, call Twin Maple Marketing, the distributor of the product at 1-800-663-8898.
    There is a system called Clean-Space, by Basement Systems. This system totally encapsulates your crawl space, completely stopping moisture from passing through to the home, including moisture from the dirt below and water vapour from dirt and concrete walls. If you are not able or do not want to do this project yourself, you can contact them to visit your home for a consultation. Toll-free, they can be reached at 1-888-379-3456.
    Listen to Shell Busey on Vancouver’s CKNW AM980, Sundays 8:30 to 10 a.m. For more home-improvement information, contact Shell Busey’s HouseSmart Home Services. Go to www.The- HouseSmart.com.
    © Copyright © The Province

http://www.housesmartcentre.com/

I know where Vern comes from and I wouldn’t want to be from there,…are you having a bad day, Marcel?

No I expect Marcel is like me and many others just wish you could act proper and help our Industry.
You act like you are so superior to all other Home Inspectors and you must get others to see how smart you think you are and they should do things your way.

I help here… but you gotta take the good with the bad!! Hell, I’m not near as bad as some of the members have been. Damn…some have been kicked out!!

Marcel I was just using terminology that Professor McNutty could understand.
Canada is the best country in the world to live in.
Alberta is the best province in Canada to live in.
I’m proud to live here.

I agree Vern, spent enough time there and lived close enough to it to know.
Just wish the bashing against Roy would stop. :slight_smile: