Another Electric Fee Increase

It never makes any difference how much energy you save, You will never save any money, unless you go completely off the grid. Utility companies will just raise their rates. So, if rates go up 9%, I need to save 9% in electric consumption. Over the years I have done about everything possible in my home to save electricity. Thick insulation, energy efficient windows, storm doors, heat pump, etc. etc. Because people are trying to save money by doing these things, rates are going up to keep the utility stock up, and profits. On, and on we go.

I guess it depends where you live. :mrgreen:

http://www.saintpetersblog.com/archives/163955

This is driven by the green fools who insist we must “save the planet” by using sources of energy production that can ONLY cost more.

Government mandates for energy providers to produce 15-20% of the energy from “renewables” does not come without cost which wouldn’t be so bad if there was ANY benefit derived from these mandates.

THERE ISN’T

If you have access to natural gas figure out the cost of gas vs the cost of electricity, a cubic foot of gas is usually 1000 BTU, 1000 BTU converts to 293 watts. For me gas is about 5 times cheaper than electricity, based on my monthly gas bill and electric bill. If this is true for where you are, toss the electric range, electric dryer, electric water heater, etc. and use gas instead.

The utilities have many fixed expenses that are not relevant to the usage of their product. So if you use less, they need to charge more to cover the nut. So we’re not going to save any money, no matter what.

Especially if incentives are provided for grid tied solar system that require the utility to pay you far more per kw than what is normally cost them to produce the same kw.

Here is the kicker.

If you have a grid tied system the utility still has to have the ability to provide as much power as you may need at night or on cloudy days.

Which means the utility cannot see reductions in their generation capabilities and equipment costs.

Grid tied systems are a lose lose for everyone except the owner of the system who in effect receives subsidy that comes from every other rate payor of the utility.