Another group comes out against Missouri licensing.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Missouri Chapter of the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors
5311 Gladstone, Ste F
St Louis, Missouri 63121
314-803-2167
Jimbushart@hotmail.com

National Consumer Group Opposes Proposed Home Inspection Licensing Bill

In opposition to Missouri HB 2057, Nancy Seats, president of Homeowners Against Deficient Dwellings (HADD), a national not for profit corporation advocating for the safe and sound construction of new homes, says that she can see no need for this legislation that would simply create another state agency at the expense of the tax payer for no legitimate reason whatsoever.

“In the 15 years that I have been dealing with homeowners in Missouri, I have never had a complaint against a home inspector,” she stated. “At the same time there have been hundreds of complaints about home builders cutting corners to add to the bottom line. The lack of window flashing, roofing felt, rebar in foundations and improper grading all of which add to water intrusion are issues that buyers count on home inspectors to find.”

Missouri does not have or enforce building codes throughout the state and does not license home builders or contractors.

“I am certain,” Seats further stated, “that the Attorney General’s consumer protection division would tell you that complaints against home inspectors are minimal as compared to other issues regarding home ownership like fraudulent appraisals, fraudulent lending, and shoddy construction.”

According to Seats, HB 2057will raise the cost of home inspections which are now affordable to the consumer and “will do nothing to protect the consumer since it seems to me on this issue there is nothing to protect the consumer from”.

In addition to this consumer watchdog group, others in opposition to HB 2057 include the Missouri Association of Real Estate Inspectors (MAREI), the Missouri Chapter of the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI), and the Missouri chapter of the National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI).