Another reason to get on the roof

Yes, you can catch that without walking on a roof. I have many times. Did you re-seal the tabs that you lifted?

If they seperate with ease, the they were not sealed to begin with. :roll:
and no you can’t always cath that. I have seen shingles that were nailed correctly but the fasteners were placed too high on the shingle itself.

It is hard to check every tab fastener that are under shingles, and not visible. If that roof is 10 years old, and no tabs are lost, why do you write up the defect? Surely there would be tabs missing by now, if they were not secured properly.

Just asking, for other inspectors reference.

You will have you explain to us how an inspector can find missing fasteners or fastener nailed too high under shingles laying flat without getting on the roof. Viewing from the attic would not be accurate.

Very nice! But you wouldn’t see that here in Vermont today nor, would you walk even a flat roof here right now safely. It can’t always be done. And yes, I have literally peered at a roof from the ground and have seen loose shingle, slightly out of position that led to the finding that the whole roof was defective. If the roof is on long enough, the wind will help with this finding. I do think that going on a roof is great when you can safely do it. You just can’t always.

Too few fasteners or fasteners nailed to high would not necessarily result in tabs missing.

The best reason to call it out is because it is incorrect due to manufacturer’s instructions and inadequate to resist wind forces. The fact that it is currently intact is irrelevant.

Roflmao. Did you watch the video??? They weren’t sealed anymore

You’re right to ask, I’m not so sure the video was watched by everyone posting. The main issue discussed in it wasn’t even the shingles not adhering to one another. Obviously that can be seen from the ground at times, but unless an inspector develops x-ray vision, they won’t be seeing fastener placement below shingle tabs.

Sean

Great video, but I am more interested in what your narrative for this was. Care to share?

Hold on guys… let me go lift a shingle…

Which one?

Third from the rake, fifth down from the ridge. :wink:

AAAAHHHHH!

Tell me you were not up on that roof! :shock:

Hell no! Pic taken from window. I’m not Charlie! :wink:

Wow Gary, I can’t believe you just asked me that question.
Missing tabs has nothing to do with the fact the roof was only put on with 3 nails per shingle, instead of the minimum of 8 nails per shingle. But hey that roof only has 20 more years to go.
You should go watch the other roof video I just posted. Those shingles were nailed too high also.

HA! Great answer. :slight_smile:

This is what I wrote:
Several shingles on the roof were seperated to inspect proper nailing. The areas that were checked found shingles were both nailed too high (which prevents securing the shingle below) or missing nails according to standard shingle fastening patterns.
Improper nailing can void the installation warranty and may create issues in the event of a storm related claim. While the roof system was performing we cannot gaurentee future issues will not arrise due to improper nailing observed in areas.
A roofing professional should review findings on the roof system to determine what, if any repairs can be made.

I report what I see and let the roofer make the call. Tearing it off would be the only real way to fix it, and I let the buyer know that he may be just fine for another 20 years, but I am not going to give it my blessing.
At the end of the day its wrong.

And so was this one.

:slight_smile:

WTF is that marcel? It looks like a zipper! no 4 inch seperation there
What kind of shingles are in pic 1 on the left? are those called 1 tab shingles?

Yup, regular IKO single tab, and 3 different types on the roof.

The 2" 3 tab offset was a new one for me.

The owner said, I can’t believe it is not installed per Manufactures Instructions, my Brother in Law did it. LOL.

Did this one this Fall.