Another WOW

Mobile Home Tie down Program…

Another good program rife with cronyism.

2.4 million profit on 2.9 in sales, nice work when you can get it.

Sounds like Inspection Depot and Citizens.

The biggest crocks in this country are the politicians.

LOL hes the mobile home KINGPIN… wonder what kind of home he lives in?!

WOW, is right!!!

I used to do these inspections for an engineering firm out of Tampa that Andy Shirley worked for that is now defunct. I failed almost 90% on the first inspection and then about 20% on the reinspection. I have gone back after retrofits to find anchors cut in half, field laced straps and uneven supports. Some of the companies did great work, others were just rip offs.

Reminds me of another state program.

Some people call it “crony capitalism”.

From definition on Wikepedia: Here’s some exceprts:

Crony capitalism is a term describing a capitalist economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, and so forth.
Crony capitalism is believed to arise when political cronyism spills over into the business world; self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals.

and another:

Crony capitalism is generally associated with more virulent government intervention, however. Intentionally ambiguous laws and regulations are common in such systems. Taken strictly, such laws would greatly impede practically all business; in practice, they are only erratically enforced. The specter of having such laws suddenly brought down upon a business provides incentive to stay in the good graces of political officials. Troublesome rivals who have overstepped their bounds can have the laws suddenly enforced against them, leading to fines or even jail time.

Sound familiar? Wind mitigation inspections and language on the form?

and another:

More direct government involvement can lead to specific areas of crony capitalism, even if the economy as a whole may be healthy. Governments will, often in good faith, establish government agencies to regulate an industry. However, the members of an industry have a very strong interest in the actions of a regulatory body, while the rest of the citizenry are only lightly affected. As a result, it is not uncommon for current industry players to gain control of the “watchdog” and use it against competitors. This phenomenon is known as regulatory capture.

Shocking!:shock: