Any Idea?

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just did a house that had an old Air Handler, void of any dataplates, but it did have a working one of these pumps that handled a sump area…any idea as to the date of the A/H…even ball park would do at this point

![](upload://7wIEVvj717edd5NWHrrzbLmpyER.jpeg)

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Harvey,

Forget the condensate pump as an indicator of the AHU anything.

How old was the house? Was the AHU original? Was the AHU in bad shape (dirty, leaking air around loose panels, rusted, etc.)?

If so, explain what you saw and write it up for replacement. The seller will argue about it, tell your client that you are their for their protection, not the sellers protection, and that that a/c has little, if any, life left and that you recommend it be replaced.

If the a/c contractor wants to "guaranty that it is good", let him put $2,000 in escrow. If the AHU lasts 5 years, he gets his money back, otherwise, his money is used to pay for a new AHU. Listen to his response, I doubt he says "sure, no problem, here is the money".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Jerry…that is the reason I am asking. The house is a 1954 house icon_cool.gif

There is no question that I am writting it up for replacement...but I wanted to know if anyone had a "circa" date for that type of install. Using a sump area and a pump for the condensate.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Harvey,

Obviously not 'original' then, but the sump pump may have been added (or replaced) at any time and may not relate to the age of the AHU. That's all I was saying.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida