Any one know their holes?

Mike, I have not intention of getting into a “I’ve set more basins than you have” war. Personally, I hope you win. I never said I was sure what they were, but they are cast exactly oposite from each other and they are definitely part of the casting.

Jack
At least I do not feel bad not knowing.

Found it Robert.
Knew I had an engineers drawing of one. This is from Conn. Precast Concrete.
basin knockouts.jpg

There are pics of smaller and larger on their site.

so those are knockouts for?

I’m not looking to be in any type of “war” with you, sorry if my statements came off otherwise. Your drawing is kind of proving my point, if you’ll notice in the picture the knockouts are located below the cone angle. the holes in Bobs pictures look like the holes are between the top of the cone and the brick collar. the location of the manhole to the garage and the standpipe installed in the manhole itself suggests it may be used as a sludge-pit/oil separator. I’m almost convinced the holes once had piping connected to them at one time, such as from a floor drain in the garage to the basin then from the basin to a holding tank for waste oil. To get a better idea of what I’m trying to express, see this Drawing.

Robert the description of the holes is the deciding factor for their use. I would agree with Mike that these knockouts/holes/drain openings are strangely placed, but since there is no evidence of drainage (and a basin this old should have some) I hold with my original opinion, knockouts for transport/lifting. I think part of our disagreement is due to semantics so I am labeling your pic.
Thanks Mike for getting my brain moving (either right or wrong at least it still works). At this point I have exhausted the non-on site information and would have to actually feel around in there to come up with more (disgusting thought). I quit feeling around in those things 20 years ago.:slight_smile:

Basin Labeled.jpg

hahaha
Well I did stick a driveway reflector in and got two inches in as stated , so I have decided to go with the transport theory.