Any thoughts as to the cause of this damage?

Damage is too uniform and characteristics are different from tree damge, which is impact damage or abrasion.

Do they have cows?

It is also a huge cup that would last me all day .

What I was so in-eloquently trying to express is that if a cow plopped one on the roof it could react with the shingles and chemically eat them as it rotted.

It was a joke son.:shock:

I see a circular pattern near the top of the damage. It appears to have run down hill from there.

I missed this.

LMAO

Just trying to keep it light and provide a laugh or two. :wink:

Charley and Kenton didn’t get the memo. :wink:

The cow theory may have merit… After all this is “cowhampshire”.
I am thinking that it may be chemical degradation. It does not look like mechanical damage to me.

Charles and I never indulge in humor on the message boards.

For those keeping score, when I used the term “mechanical” I was not referring to the primary cause but the secondary as in growth of some sort getting into the inner shingle like lichen growth does.

“mechanical” was not the best choice of words in this case.:shock:

I suppose someone could mechanically damage the roof by chipping at an ice damn but that sort of damage looks very different. :wink:

I’ll try to remember that :mrgreen:

Grease/oil can deteriorate asphalt, although I don’t know where it would come from in this case (kitchen hood, bird flying something up to the roof…)

Chances are something was spilled and left there for years, most likely some sort of ice melt product.