Any way to stop this?

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

OK, here’s my dilemma. I am just starting out as an inspector, so all business is needed. Especially repeat business.

So about a month ago I got an internet customer who used me. After the inspection which he loved, I did like always and sent his agent a little note about me. So Thursday she calls and needs a house inspected on Friday afternoon. We set the appointment for 3:30 pm. She wanted a termite inspection too, so I called my termite sub to meet me at 3:30. Being the professionals we are, myself and the termite guy I use both got there at 3:15.

The house is a vacant one, so he started his outside part. At 3:30 my client arrived, and we started the exterior. At 3:35 I called the agent and she said she was in traffic but would be there in 5 minutes tops. At 3:50 I called and she said I am just around the corner. At 4:15 my termite sub had to leave to go to his next inspection. The agent arrived at 4:30.

Obviously, I want her business, but I can't wait an hour for her. My time is valuable. As is my sub's. I could send her a bill, but would never get business again. My sub could send me his bill, but luckily I have a good deal with him. She wanted my termite guy to set another appointment and I told her that I am not going to but she could call him direct.

How can I avoid this later?

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Dan,

Does this happen often?

This has happened to me once within the last year. While I was awaiting the arrival of the listing agent, I went over the outside of the house with my clients, wrote up the exterior portion of the report and then chatted and answered questions while awaiting access. Fifteen minutes went by and I advised my client that I will give the Realtor fifteen more minutes, and then I have no choice but to re-schedule. They obliged and said, "Not a problem". They were a little upset also.

14 1/2 minutes later, the Realtor pulls up. She approaches us and apologizes for the delay and comes up with some lame excuse. My client and I just look at each other thinking "ya right, OK".

Anyways, I eat that delay at no expense to anyone. This sort of delay does not happen too often. The Realtor will be on site 99.9% of the time. In Massachusetts, the listing agent is always responsible for gaining entry to the house for a Home Inspection. One time out of the year is not a big deal for me. I don't make an issue out of this, unless this happened regularly.

Do HI?s have lock-box access in your area? We don?t!![](upload://aWTRUraNtQ2T2bkVBw0PHLo76ZQ.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I am getting lock box access soonthrough the local board of realtors I am joining. But wouldn’t have mattered as only she had a key, no box.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: B Ray

In my electrical field ,when I have a sub or someone that I’m need to meet on site at a certain time, I try to call 30-45 minutes prior and tell them that you have the termite man meeting you at the same time and he has another appt. at (whatever time) and he needs to leave prior to that. If your realtor is going to make habit of this ,you can cancel the appt. before you have to wait over 1 hour and the clients won’t be happy about either.

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi guys,

I have a file on the client as soon as I book the Inspection.
In the file an appoinment sheet with some info like property
address and realtors. The listing and the buyers agents,
their phone #s, and the files stay in my truck.
If the realtor is more than 15 min late I just give them a call.

Carla

Originally Posted By: dbowers

If I use any other subs like pool man, septic inspector, termite inspector - my office schedules them to show 30-40 minutes after my start time. That gives me time to set up, go over contracts with buyers, look at the outside or yaddi, yaddi, yaddi.

That also means that if a realestator is late the sub is not hanging - I've got plenty of stuff to do to keep me busy and not need access for 30 minutes, etc.