Anybody use just a phone as a camera?

Here’s some of my photos from recent inspections. I use my Ipad mini for the majority of shots. I used to use my iphone exclusively. Blurry shots with either are caused by the same thing which causes blurry shots in any camera, movement.

I carry a monocular with me for distance photos, it has a 10-30x adjustable optical zoom. I don’t need to take pictures from a distance very often, I just go over and inspect those areas. :slight_smile: The monocular doubles as my method of inspection from the ground when access just isn’t possible.

The quality of photos is most often affected by light, thus the problem with interior photos. I use a 1500-2000 lumen zoomable flashlight which provides plenty of light. Less light = dim, grainy photos. More light = clear photos. Honestly, I have plenty of grainy and slightly blurry photos when it comes to documenting overall spaces. Those don’t matter much, but my defect photos are crystal clear 99% of the time. No camera is going to take a good photo of rafter tails from across the attic if there is not good light.

If you are going to use a phone or a tablet for photos, you will quickly develop a steady hand and your photos will be just fine.

Here’s the photos, all with an Ipad mini:

1. Chimney, from ground w/monocular, 40-50 feet away
  2. Tile Roof, from ground w/monocular, 30-35 feet away
  3. Meter
  4. Meter from #3 enlarged to show detail of text
  5. Attic, no light, no flash, lit with flood flashlight

Yes but does not matter when you have good optics.
There is a big difference between a real camera lens and a tiny pinhole.

Being a smart guy you already know that.
Like I said however “whatever floats your boat”

Cell phones are almost as good as a $125 camera at this point but then I do not buy $125 cameras .

Cameron I see something in the far corner of that attic shot (water stain) do me a favor and crop -zoom that image for me.:slight_smile:

Oh thats right you can’t because it is an "I can’t "

No problem I am sure your insurance will cover you for the missed water intrusion but at least you have a cool tablet to play with instead .

Why use a good high quality camera when you can talk about how tech savvy you are.

Here’s some more. Again, all taken with a 5 Mp Ipad mini.

1. Furnace data plate, lit with flood flashlight
  2. Water heater data plate, lit with flood flashlight
  3. Under siding, north side of house, lit with flashlight
  4. Under siding, north side of house, natural light
  5. Blind shot under deck, natural light

Why would I crop a photo? I would just walk over and take this shot.

Turns out it wasn’t a moisture stain, it was mold. Next time you should “zoom” on over to the issue and take a real photo. :slight_smile:

So where are your examples of all these high quality zoomed shots in dark attics? How about three of them. Post the originals and then the zoomed photos you put in your report.

Gee I can not as I take lousy pictures.:frowning:
Try to avoid all that picture stuff as it is only fluff.:twisted:

No really. Help out the OP. Original and then zoomed photos from an attic.

So with my one million posts you never saw me post any shots ?
Lay off the crack pipe.

How about instead you show me a single testimonial from a client bragging about your wonderful tablet photos in the report ?
I will go head to head because I have a ton of them.

Cam you do not even like putting pictures in your reports so arguing with you about photography is like asking a Lactose intolerant kid which brand milk tastes best.

Not sure where you are getting your info, I’ve never once said anything negative about adding photos to a report. Yesterday’s had 46 in the report.

Arguably, any review of my services which praises my report is praising the whole report, including photos. But if you just want one regarding photos, here you go:

So enough of that diversion, show us some photos of an attic where you used a zoomed portion of the photo for your report, original and then the zoomed photo for the report.

Macro of insects you say? \:D/

Original followed by zoomed portion. Ask and ye shall receive. Taken with an Ipad Mini.

Was that in the dark with your ipad flash ?

I never use a flash. Indirect light is much better.

Where’s those samples from the attic?

no top secret model, lol.

how much zoom do you need 95% of the time, you’re right at the defect?

with a 300-600 lumen flashlight, you shine the light and take the pic, comes out great. My report is public right on my site, the photos are pretty good.

every picture I posted on this MB… all iphone photos.

saves a lot of time not transferring photos from one device to another, if they were bad, I wouldn’t do it…

Talk is cheap. You’ll notice there is plenty of willingness to post comparative reviews, but not actuals photos. This is the problem with bragging about your own methods being superior and claiming what others do is inferior, sooner or later you have to back it up. What is hilarious about all this is that HIP takes all our photos and reduces them all down to the same resolution, so a crisp clear 5 Mp photo comes out looking the same as a crisp clear 15 Mp. Most of this comparison is based on one difference, the ability to crop and zoom a pre-existing photo and have a quality shot, something which is needed .01% of the time. If there were any big difference, the photos would be here for comparison already.

Flashing and loose mortar you say? \:D/

Your wish is my command. Taken with an Ipad Mini and a monocular.

I don’t think my way is better than Bob. His way CERTAINLY is capable of producing a better photo. Just saying how I do it, and it works for my business. I don’t fault a guy for wanting the best quality photos possible, if that’s what your product calls for.

Mike for crying out loud the guy holds a dime store telescope to get chimney shots and somehow can reach over double stacks to take shots of the dryer vents ?

I will not waste my time posting picture after picture when his obvious reply will be (I could do that)

Anybody accept him knows tablets are not good for pictures to investigate with.

No zoom,bulky,no one handed operation,no flash,grainy crop shots,perform terrible in low light.
Yes ironic I state all this without photos…I like that.:slight_smile:

I was not referring to you Mike. No one has stated or thinks they have better methods than everyone else except for Bob. It’s insulting and it bring down the forum. If it were true, he could readily show it with photos which compare to what I have posted.

Bob, the OP asked about those who use a phone for photos and you immediately came on here insulting those who do. You’ve even dramatized it so far as to say it makes you liable. All you have to do to gain some credibility regarding this is to post the same thing you have demanded of us. Attic photo original and zoomed portion.

There’s nothing wrong with being average.