Anyone know what could cause this?

I was inspecting a bathroom an noticed a small area on the drywall that looks like something chemically ate away at it. It became a bit more porous like bubbles where once there. I’ve never seen something like this before and thought it might have been from soap residue that wasn’t wiped clean.

There was evidence that some sort of liquid, appeared to me water, had been dripping down parts the walls. The drywall above the shower was wet to the touch up to about an inch above the enclosure but this wall with the porous portion was across the bathroom.

I ask for the wisdom of the veteran inspectors on what is a potential cause. Thank you.

Any answer would be pure speculation. Remember, ours is to observe and report, not to reason why.

Cheers

3 Likes

Oh I was going to report what I thought it was but really just curious has to what can possibly cause it.

Women use some pretty toxic stuff on their hair and other body parts… maybe some overspray?

For years I could never figure out what the black spots were on my bathroom wall. Then one day I was watching my wife die the gray out of her hair and that crap was flying everywhere! Mystery solved.

3 Likes

Just about anything, in a bathroom. Sloppy hand washing, the dog shook himself off after a bath, who knows…

1 Like

I was just cleaning it and it went off. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It looks like someone smashed a spider with a fly swatter and rubbed it back and forth on the ceiling to make sure it was dead? :thinking: who knows.

3 Likes

Looks like someone attempted to use some shake and shoot drywall texture in a can, and didn’t mix it up enough, then painted over it. If that stuff isn’t mixed/shaken enough it will run like that with bubbles.

The texture at the top of the picture looks totally different than at the bottom…

3 Likes

Texture was applied very wet with a roller. Lots of air bubbles that popped while curing. Zoom in and you’ll see similar popped air bubbles all over the place. Some are just more pronounced. As for that pattern, who knows .

1 Like

Someone cleaned the blood from the fingernail scratch marks? :thinking:

3 Likes

I am with you, I am thinking crime scene clean-up.

2 Likes

I think we need to defer it to an SE…

4 Likes

Damn and I forgot my DNA test kit! Adding that one to the inspection must have list.

1 Like

LMAO!! I’ve been wondering the same thing at my house!! Oh man, that is funny!

1 Like

It is my opinion the uneven paint texture is a form of or related to, blistering behind the alkyd paint caused by heat, moisture or a combination of both. Likely painting over prior water damage.
6 Common Paint Problems & How to Fix Them
paint problems

1 Like