Anyone Know What These Are?

These things are installed where there ought to be gutters. What are they? We get very little snow here.

P1000161.JPG

P1000157.JPG

My guess would be rain diffusers. Instead of gutters, these are supposed to break the rain coming off the roof into a “mist” so that it doesn’t leave a trough around the house.

I guess since you are just north of the convergence zone and get a little less rain, they might just work. I would still recommend gutters.

For those of you that don’t live in Washington. IT RAINS HERE ALL THE TIME AND WE ARE MOSTLY UNDERWATER OR COVERED WITH MOSS. DO NOT MOVE HERE.

http://www.rainhandler.com/

Thanks for the link Michael. That’s what they are. I suppost they might work in a different part of the world, but not here!

Washington is a great place to live…if you are a duck.

gotta love the service wires right under rainguards. at least they did the drip loop. plus they don’t look like they are at least 10ft. high. could be wrong, just going by the looks of the picture.

Rain??? What rain? It dosnt rain here,… :roll: like the old saying, Washingtonians dont tan, we rust!

The rain handler works marvelously. I installed it on two former properties and was very satisfied with how it worked.

I thought the idea of a gutter system was primarily to get water away from the foundation. How does this stuff do that? Looks to me like it just diffuses it so it doesn’t pound out ditches in the ground.

Remember that the best way to get water away from the foundation is to simply let it drain down to China. Collecting it in gutters and downspouts, or on driveways and walkways, street gutters, etc., only causes problems somewhere else. The rain handler simulates rain. Rain falls everywhere. It’s those ol’ roofs, driveways, streets, etc., that typically create flooding and other problems.

I have never had foundation walkways, preferring gardens so that the water drains down to China rather than falling on the walkways, gathering momentum, and flowing across my property, causing erosion. The rain handler over concrete walkways and driveways won’t accomplish much. Over open ground, it accomplishes a lot, including not pounding out ditches in the ground.

Did an inspection yesterday .
Foundation damage no gutters or down spots for many years .
$25,000:00 might be enough to fix it .
when we get rain it does damage if you do not get it away from the foundation.
See many every year with lots of damage .
Down spouts away from the home is the only answer in My area.

… Cookie

It was high enough…over the ground, but it passed a scant few inches over the roof in one area. The conductor insulation was abraided where is had been rubbing on the comp roof in the wind. I have seen this several times, including one cable that was resting squarely on a roof ridge. I have never seen what happens when it finally rubs through the insulation. I think it would get someone’s attention in a hurry.