Anyone Need An Apprentice Sparky?

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

It all started innocently icon_smile.gif with this “screw in receptacle” and an extension cord. . .

Then leads to this journeyman connection (invisible junction box) and off to one garage light (oops, forgot the ground wire). . .

and to a surface mounted j-box where the next set of lights are plugged in. . .

and then to his work bench (needs plenty of receptacles for all his power tools). . .

and another receptacle in case we need it for something. . .

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

This could not have been done by an Electrician. icon_eek.gif

Where did you get the arrows?

Oh, I almost forgot David Valley!

It was all serviced by this. . .

![](upload://6R51BZhNZpTyKJ49n0csqQQcX4A.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

tallen wrote:
This could not have been done by an Electrician. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Where did you get the arrows?

I think it was Robert W. that pointed me to 20/20 for the arrows.

No, this wasn't actually done by an electrician, I am kidding.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff, you are the electrical grand master of trash!!!

rwills wrote:
Just found this download freeware called 20/20. You can add arrows to photos easily and also highlight sections of a photo in any shade you want. http://www.hotfreeware.com/

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

tallen wrote:
Jeff, you are the electrical grand master of trash!!!

This was just the garage ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

I find all number of things wrong in any givin home, but you, Jeff have a calling for electrical problems. icon_eek.gif I really like and appreciate all of your posts.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Very Innovative & Enterprising. Lets give credit where its due. I don’t think most of us have the patience to rig that type of spaghetti - when doing it right would have so much easier and more simple.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Are all of these things found by an HI working for the buyer?

I can’t imagine a realtor actually listing a house with crap like this out in the open. I can understand finding something strange hidden in the attic but these things look like they are just “out there”. Do the realtors actually walk the houses before they list them? You don’t need to be Dick Tracy to spot stuff that is this ugly.

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

Jeff finds so much of this crap I’m beginning to wonder if he may be the “wiremaster” responsible for creating it.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Mike

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I was thinking these may be homes that came on to the market “as is” from forclosures and estate sales. I can’t believe any realtor in their right mind would actually have extension cords, run as building wiring and bare wires poked in receptacles if they knew a buyer was coming to look at the house. Maybe they are changing the term “tear down” to “burn down”.

This is a 2700+ sq. ft. home, priced to sell at 625K. It had only been on the market for 8 days and is now in a 15 day escrow.

As I said, those pics from the garage were just the beginning;

![](upload://mtWwA3jKGfQw7CYR84V3k1MggkG.jpeg)

![](upload://phOta94lMSjCn4ZX9PRV8L5NcHA.jpeg)

![](upload://zcoMxGJ37voK4QQUlvbUAIThwvD.jpeg)

![](upload://nj2H65k4tZloQgvCCDgF2h89IlO.jpeg)

It just went on and on and on. . .

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ssmith3

It seems that we have a lot of those zinsco panels out here on the left coast. My neighborhood was built in 1971 and ALL the houses still have original panels. I was going to post pics of mine but don’t dare open it for fear I’ll have to cough 3-5 grand icon_eek.gif to replace it.

The funny thing is I owned property in the next town up from me and was having problems with the lights flickering for no reason. Called Sparky out and he pulled my old Zinsco panel. When he got the inside cover off there was a dead mouse in it ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) . We could not figure out how it got in there in the first place as there were no open knock-outs and the cover was on secure.

Wellll, we upgraded the service to 200 amp and no more problems.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Greg,

Unfortunately these kinds of electrical discrepancies are not all that uncommon. I find Jeff seems to find more than his share of them but I too find way more than I like to. As far as the realtors goes, often the realtor is seeing the home for the first or second time when they bring the HI in to do the inspection. The listing agent doesn’t normally look for glaring errors like this as most are scrambling trying to make a buck too. That figured in with how much crap is deliberately hidden by sellers is amazing. I did one house recently and every, I repeat every wire splice in the attic was standing at attention about 8 inches high, not one wire nut or junction box in sight. Looked like a mine field. I just took several pictures, backed out and told them I would come back to do a reinspection once all the wiring was completed. It helps when the home inspector educates the Realtors they work with about the liablilty problems these situations create. BTW, I always enjoy yours and many others posts, insights to the issues HIs face every day. Thanks for the inputs.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

A lot of the realtors around here would ignore all of that, they just want the listing (half of the deal no matter who sells it). I did one where the carport was held together front-to-back with a steel cable because the crappy framing was trying to force the walls apart…wasn’t even in the disclosure.