Anyone using the Home Inspector Septic Paks?

Just curious if anyone uses these.

Has anyone tried to sell these?

I have a place in the mountains that is on a septic and wondered if they were worth it or not. In the spring when I go up after winter I get a smell for a couple weeks. I usually put regular yeast in with some cut up raw chicken to get the tank working again. That seems to work.

You might as well take the cash you use to buy them and flush it down the toilet directly. It will do about as much good. They are a waste of money.

Anerobic systems build their own bacteria and work on their own within about 48 hours. Systems that claim that they reduce the amount of pumping can actually cause harm to septic systems.

It might be a way for you to sell an unneeded product to your clients, but that’s about it.

Regular pumping/maintenance is the best thing you can do to keep and maintain your system.

I get a same product from RV dealers,(live) enzime, use it in my porta jon, that does not get used too much, the fiberglass unit has no smell at all in it when I return two months later, have not emptied in years, so I can tell you the packs do work.

Different product…You might try NOT using it and see what your results are. If Ron is having an odor problem when he returns to the home, I would suggest that his traps have dried out, and that after using his plumbing the first time, he re-fills them blocking the sewer gasses.

I’m a licensed septic installer/inspector for the state of MO. Even the department of Health, and the Department of Environmental Quality agree that they are worthless. Don’t get me wrong…they don’t hurt the tank at all, but they don’t help it either.

Two of my rentals have a septic system. I advise the tenants that they are required to break an egg and flush it down the toilet once a month. This was told to me by a plumbing contractor. It seemed wierd at the time but no problems in years.

Noting is required to be added a properly designed and and functioning septic system.

I’m betting the plumbing contractor also owned a chicken farm. :mrgreen:

When a system is down for a while, such as a winter season or for a home that has been unoccupied for an extended period, I typically recommend a shot of rid-x to help jump start the bacteria break down process. Once it’s going, the system should be good to go…assuming proper design and such. It’s not a bad idea to put it on a maintenance inspection schedule just to ensure everything is working the way intended.

Save your money and take a poop instead. In 48 hours the tank will be up and running under normal conditions anyway. Seriously.

Mark knows what hes talking about. I watch my neighbor poor gallons of Buttermilk in his tank every month. I live right on the waters edge on a lake in missouri and have a tank with a field 10’ from the water. I have the tank pumped every (2) years, (its a shared tank with the neighbor) and do nothing special with no problems.
(The key to my tank not having problems is I don’t throw Food Waste, Grease or Chemicals down the drain).

Mark writes:

What did that entail? Was the license difficult to get?

They are two licenses. The first (installer) is required for the second (inspector). They each required a seperate course offered by the state, along with a test. They also each require CE. (BTW, it would be awesome if you could arrange to get your septic course recognized as CE for that in MO.)

Was it difficult? no. Time consuming? yes. Expensive? moderately

I just got my installer’s license today after taking InterNACHI’s How to Inspect Septic Systems course.

In what state?