Apartment building masonary or engineer?

Originally Posted By: smcintire
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello, everybody thanks for the post except for the Realtor comment, which is far better left un-commented by me. Joseph, the building is 100 units and 9 floors tall. I will most likely recommend a qualified structural engineer evaluate this project, but as I said before, I do not like to recommend a P.E. Unless absolutely necessary. I really appreciate the constructive comments, which will help me make my own decision.

Thanks,
Steve

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Hi Steve, so is the building in Indy and what does something like that go for, what are the numbers.

Joe ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Sorry, I should have posted in members only section. To much information when searched in Google

Originally Posted By: roconnor

lkage wrote:
Yes it needs to be repaired ... A mason could fix the problem but the cause of the problem, IMO, is what needs to be addressed first or the problem will come back.

Right on the money. I see repairs fail all the time, as the root cause of the problem was not correctly evaluated or addressed [see my comments in the "Sagging lintel" thread for one example I came across during one of my inspections]. That evaluation is also beyond a building/home inspection, unless you also hold a license as an engineer.

There is a tendency to want to figure out why a problem is occurring, and offer hard solutions to a problem. As an HI instructor also I understand that. But it's really crossing the professional practice lines, which HI's have to be very mindful of, and it's only a matter of time before you get burned ... sometimes badly if it's a very costly repair of the real problem.

JMO and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: rsonneson

I think that this is well beyond a masons ability to determine proper coarse of action. He could very well fix it but finding cause is beyond his ability.

Bob Sonneson

American Home Inspection Technologies

Originally Posted By: mmasek

Steve,

I was in the masonry business for 20 plus years before becoming a home inspector. The damage you have on that building is substantial and would require an engineer's evaluation and remedy.

Good luck
Mark

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I would strongly recommend an SE on this one. It is beyond a regular HI's compressional experience magnitude to resolve.
A building built in the 1950's is far from meeting todays' design criteria and meet established codes of repair. This would usually shove most masonry contractors out the door. They would not want the liability or get involved without a PE's design for restoration.

Marcel

Sorry, I should have posted in members only section. To much information when searched in Google

Steve; I would be careful in dictating what the cause is, you are not a structural engineer.

I would have a recommendation for a structural engineers review to my potential concerns as to what was noted.

A building of this magnitude deserves professional help to the antiquated designs of the era.

Speculating on the cause could put you in trouble should the client purchase the property based on your conclusions.

Do not mean to be critical to your report, I am just trying to help.

[/quote]

I may not always agree, but I always like to hear other opinions.

Thanks,

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Look up the definition of the word and it will most likely put you in a category of being definite as to what you dictated.

Be careful and take care.

Marcel