April, 2009 U.S. News and World Report front cover is all about the Green Economy.

Green, green, green!

Green lining to recession’s dark clouds

Governments are spending to stimulate economies — and business should take advantage of incentives to go green…

…It even includes $5 billion for household weatherization. This means a boost for companies providing this - the U.S. Department of Energy has a goal to retrofit 10 million homes in the next 20 years.

But, this doesn’t just go for smart businesses — it goes for smart individuals. In order to weatherize those 10 million homes, the Department of Energy estimates they will need 1.25 million workers.

The job potential is comparable to that of Silicon Valley. Today, a specialized green degree will put new graduates in demand. Green stimulus is already addressing this — the U.S. Department of Commerce recently gave Hocking College a $1.6 million grant to build a learning facility for their sustainable energy programs.

It’s an interesting turn - green used to be focused on saving. Companies like Xerox already capitalized on this by switching to energy-saving bulbs and recycled paper. In doing so they saved 1.5 billions tons of waste and $2 billion dollars.

But saving isn’t enough anymore.

“The smarter companies will capitalize while the slower ones may not make it,” says Willard. “That’s life in the jungle of the corporations.”

That’s where the green light at the end of the tunnel becomes clear. Making this happen will be no easy feat - but it’s something your business will thank you for. Otherwise, you could get left in the dark.

When government gets involved, watch out.

There is a BIG difference between fact (verifiable, objective, testable fact) and the current trend of political correctness.

They are, usually, people who can’t get a REAL job, and go to work (or get elected!) and go on the government dole.

Then, they get to play with other people’s money (at no cost to themselves) and get paid to do so.

Just my opinion.

Will, here in NH our weatherization program helps insulate homes for low to moderate income households who meet the states criteria, the state then employs companies like mine to do the work.

In NH, on average we insulate app. 800 homes a year. That number is expected to increase to 16,000 per year for three years. This is a great program as the homeowners who receive it definitely need it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a firm believer that the government should not be so involved in our lives but this is a program that I see that works and when this gets off the ground I’ll need to hire a couple of more guys to keep up with the work.

Just think of how many houses we could have insulated in this country if we didn’t blow up Iraq and re-build it.

Our state also has a weatherization program. However it does not sub out the work to local contractors. The local counties have received Federal money to expand their existing programs. They are expanding their staffs and doing the inspections (blower door and IR training provided) and weatherization themselves. It’s cheaper for them (in their minds)to hire extra staff. You have to remember this is a GOVERNMENT program. I know this first hand because I had an interview last month and spoke with them extensively. They actually have their inspectors “pitch in” and “give back to the community” which, in government lingo means, after you do the inspection you can pitch in and help insulate this dump. This is nothing more than an expansion of government handouts. I don’t see any of this work coming my way.The blower door training is free.:wink:

It’s amazing how many pie charts have different numbers…

**Where Your Energy Goes**

http://www.cleanenergyfortexas.org/images/where_it_goes_graph.gif

Average Air Leakage in a Home

http://www.cleanenergyfortexas.org/images/avg_air_leak_graph.gif

Air Leaks

http://www.acoolerhousesanantonio.com/util/sites/acoolerhouse/img/airleakpiechart.jpg

http://www.reliant.com/en_US/Images/Content_Images/ESC/esc_res_weatherization_tips_air_leakage.gif

http://www.abc.net.au/spark/smelly/fartsurvey/img/like_smell_chart.gif

Different studies, different results.

You will note that the different graphs have different criteria, different foci that they report on.

Many people want simple, easy answers, but do not take the time to do comprehensive studies, nor know how to read statistical studies.

I, once, was testifying in court, for the defendent. The lawyer for the plaintiff tried to trip me up. He kept asking simple questions, questions that the jurt could easily understand, but questions that there was no simple “yes or no” answer to.

I stood my ground and told him that I could not answer his question “as it was posed”. He kept badgering me, but I held my ground. Finally, the lawyer requested that the Judge order me to answer his question. The Judge asked me to explain, and to take my time and answer it fully “The truth, the WHOLE truth and NOTHING but the truth”, just like the oath says.

I did, taking about 3 minutes to explain what the answer meant.

When I was finished, the plaintiffs lawyer objected. Said I was “trying to obscure the issue”. The Judge tod him that it was he who was tring to obsure, and twist my answer.

The Judge gave a directed verdict. The plaintiffs lost.

Take your time, learn what you have to learn and UNDERSTAND your results and the MEANING of those results.

Too many, out there, want quick, simple and easy answers, but reaility i not that way.

I, however, totally agree with that last chart. I have evidence!

“The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them.”

Hope this helps;