April -- TPREIA Greater Austin Chapter (TGAC) Meeting Recap

Monthly Meeting Roud-up:

For all fellow inspectors in the Greater Austin, Texas area that could not attend April’s official gathering of the TPREIA Greater Austin Chapter (TGAC), you missed out on several hours of comrade. For all who were able to join us for last month’s TGAC meeting, we are looking forward to meeting up with you again each and every month to ensure we are endeavoring 3 of TPREIA’s greatest directives:

• Continuing education (Earn educational credits at NO extra cost!)
  • Assisting each other to improve the inspection industry as a whole.
  • Understanding how to better serve the general public.

And remember TPREIA members earn CEUs simply for being a chapter member and listening to something you likely already want to hear all while enjoying a good dinner. Also, these credits are much harder to come by as recently re-evaluated by TREC, TPREIA has/is going the extra mile to ensure we are a go in this regard without regulatory surprises.

One guest summed it up best*** “I like that no one is holding their cards tight to the chest here.” We really could not have said it any better, so come out and see for yourself.***

It is a common conversation to hear a couple inspectors discussing, “ hey I’m buried this week, can I send some work to you?”**

That is what is really about – finding common ground and ways to work together even while in competition.

Guest Educational Speaker:
Mike Stewart
Vehicle Doors & Opener Guru
Owner of AMSGD Inc
In business for over 23 years
http://www.amsgaragedoors.com/

Thank You, Mike for an educational and interesting understanding of:
  • The importance of a properly operating garage door
  • How to correctly inspect a vehicle door, step-by-step:
    [LIST]
  • Perform standard reverse tests
  • Start with a closed door, release manual pull
  • check for balance all along the travel of the door.
  • Do not use your arms to test the down force, use a 2” block (TREC has approved the block test not the arm test)
  • Look for missing/loose nuts/bolts, esp. at hinges.
  • Check extension springs for correct safety cabling and are attached securely.
  • Optimal eye beam height is 2 - 4 inches.
  • Down force setting should be between 1 and 3, above 3 is a sign of needed maintenance.

[/LIST]

List of the festivities:
30 minutes of networking
15 minutes discussion of TREC changes
45 minutes of Mike’s “hands-on presentation”, did you know?

• If the top panel can be pushed in, the door requires adjustment
  • Torsion springs require annual oiling with the right kind of lubricant, called GDL “Garage Door Lube”
  • Any correctly balanced garage door can be lifted with ONLY 2 fingers.
  • Springs generally require adjustment every 2-3 years under standard workload.
  • Annual maintenance programs are generally not beneficial to the consumer.

TPREIA Greater Austin Chapter (TGAC) has a standing monthly meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at Logan’s Roadhouse @ 3702 Parker Rd. Round Rock, Texas (NW corner of I-35 & 45)

with an Agenda:

• Networking @ 6PM
  • Dinner @ 6:30
  • New TREC News
  • TPREIA information
  • TGAC introduction
  • Sponsor introductions
  • Guest Educational Speaker
  • Q & A
  • Drawing giveaways
  • Membership Q & A
  • Last minute networking
  • Call it a night!

TGACApril 001.jpg

Please start posting reminders a couple of weeks before the events. I’d like to attend some but never think of it until I see your posts saying how good the meeting was…