Are roof rafter notches allowed

In the olden days, when we used to stick build all our roofs, this was common practice to notch the gable end rafter, for look outs to support the fascia, and soffit on the gable ends. I agree that trusses should not be altered, but with the OSB boxing on this gable end, and no load on the bottom cord, I think this application is structurally sound, old school maybe, but it’s not going to collapse.

One point that I would add.

Local code officials ARE NOT the “proper authorities”. Only the manufacturer’s engineers can specify modifications to their product.

I, regularly, run into this in rural areas. The builder tells me that the local codies approved it. I then ask for documentation (which they never have) and tell them that the codies don’t have that level of authority.

Then I recommend that the seller’s lawyer (we use lawyers, around here, for RE transactions) obtain an inspection from the truss manufacturer’s field engineer, in writing. If the codie gets all worked up (it has happened) I ask them to sign an assumption of liability document (worked up by my lawyer).

Funny thing, they never do.

I wonder why :mrgreen:

Hi. Will, hope you are doing well.

Codies are never wrong, will never sign anything, and are never Liable for their mistakes or ommissions.

Man, would I not like a job like that.
Almost sounds like a Weatherman. :mrgreen:

Hey, that’s the way it is in Illinois. Go figure.

I write it up, but I also try to put the liability where it belongs.

In Illinois (where GCs are not state licensed and have no testing to get their local licenses (except in a VERY few municipalities), the GC assumes the liability.

BUT, they are regularlly set up as temporary LLC, which they disband when the house is built (and, therefore, cannot be held liable because they are, legally, gone).

And the codies want (and have) all the authority, but no liability (per state court rulings).

And, the client (our client, who we must represent in a fiduciary responsibility) gets left with the problem. Sure, they can sue, but that costs them money and, in the mean time, their house is crap. And the lawsuit can go on for years and the builder is long gone.

And, their lawyer wants to get paid, up front.

A silly, unfair and unjust system, but that is, none the less, the existing system.

I agree Will, and that is the way it is in the Residential Market.
Unlike the Commercial Market here, we are liable for everything that goes wrong, and seen where we are liable for Architects mistakes too!

They come back and say, well you as the Contractor are the professionals and that is why you got the job, you should have been aware the Architect made a mistake.

How do you like that one?

Code Enforcement, my job two years ago, Certificate of occupancy, walk-thru, Took all of five minutes.

Invited him in one time to show him the design drawings were wrong and not per the NEC, asked for a letter of his aggreement, no way hose’.

Dosen’t really matter where you go, I have never seen a Code Enforcement that knows what he is looking at. At least in the same perspective as me.

That is the way it is, now page two. ha. ha.

Marcel :):smiley:

Good post, Marcel.