Are the equipment grounds also required to be joined togethe

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Scenario:

A two gang metal box has two, 12/2, W/G NM-B cables, connected to a receptacle, that are part of a 20 ampere branch circuit, and two 14/2, W/G NM-B cables, connected to a switch, that are part of a 15 ampere lighting branch circuit.

The two equipment grounding conductors, of the 15 ampere circuit are joined together with a suitable splicing device, and the two equipment grounding conductors of the 20 ampere circuit are also joined together with a suitable splicing device.

Question: Are the equipment grounding conductors also required to be joined together?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I would have to say yes.

This would ensure that both the receptacle and the switch are at the same potential.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Good practice, not required.

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

jwortham wrote:
I would have to say yes.

This would ensure that both the receptacle and the switch are at the same potential.

Jeffery, you are correct! See this rule in the 1999 NEC:

Quote:
250-148. Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes

Where more than one equipment grounding conductor enters a box, all such conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use.

Connections depending solely on solder shall not be used.

Splices shall be made in accordance with Section 110-14(b) except that insulation shall not be required.

The arrangement of grounding connections shall be such that the disconnection or the removal of a receptacle, fixture, or other device fed from the box will not interfere with or interrupt the grounding continuity.

![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

--

Nice to know I am occasionally right about something! icon_smile.gif

I stand corrected. icon_smile.gif

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Why 1999 and not 2002?

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

No particular reason, except that this question was asked in an area that has just started to use the 1999 edition.

That's why I used that reference

It is the same the the 2002 NEC.

To be honest with you, if I knew that I could get the Home Inspectors to use the NEC, I would send anyone who asks me for one a copy of the 1993 version (edited through Chapter 4 and with pools) ----- and by me that would be good enough.

HI's do not act as electrical inspectors anyway, and if some get the inspection of a 50 year old dwelling job, then they can use the 1953 edition for all I care!

Jerry Peck is getting very close to a full set of codes so we can ask him!

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jtedesco wrote:
Jeffery, you are correct! See this rule in the 1999 NEC:

Quote:
250-148. Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes

Where more than one equipment grounding conductor enters a box, all such conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use.

Connections depending solely on solder shall not be used.

Splices shall be made in accordance with Section 110-14(b) except that insulation shall not be required.

The arrangement of grounding connections shall be such that the disconnection or the removal of a receptacle, fixture, or other device fed from the box will not interfere with or interrupt the grounding continuity.

Actually, Bob is correct. Based on the wording of your original question.

The equipment grounds are not required to be connected together. "or joined ... to the box with devices suitable for the use"

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry:

My original question above read as follows:

Quote:
Question: Are the equipment grounding conductors also required to be joined together?

Also, please read the (a) paragraph in the 99 NEC for "Metal Boxes"

Quote:
250-148 (a) Metal Boxes. A connection shall be made between the one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for no other purpose or a listed grounding device.

Note a listed grounding device includes a green colored clip.

--

Joe T.,

That is what I am referring to.

jtedesco wrote:

They are not "required to be *joined together*". They MAY BE connected / joined / attached / etc. to the box (using suitable and approved means, of course).

Your reference stated more than one choice, only one of which was *joined together*. "Where more than one equipment grounding conductor enters a box, all such conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use. "

You could say that they are "electrically" joined together by virtue of their contact with the metal box, but they are not "joined together". I was just pointing that out because, with code related items, the wording is there for a purpose. And, in this particular case, two options are offered: 1) "spliced or joined within the box", meaning they are joined together within the box, or, 2) "spliced or joined ... to the box", meaning they are not joined together, but are joined to the box.

A minor, but significant, change. I.e., they do not have to all be in a wire nut ("joined together") if they are all joined to the metal box. I just did not want it to leave the impression that they must all be 'joined together', indicating something like a wire nut is required.

Don't take the above the wrong way, I keep learning from your posts. They make one (at least me) think. And thinking is good.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

2002 NEC 250.148 Exception: takes you to 250.146(D).

Bob is correct. Not 'necessary required'.

Mike P.

But bonding them all to the box…or in a splice…is electrically the same as joining them together.

So it's semantics only.

jwortham wrote:
So it's semantics only.

Precisely. And when you talk code, it needs to be worded correctly.

One extra word, one less word, one different word, and the entire meaning changes.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Mike Parks wrote:
2002 NEC 250.148 Exception: takes you to 250.146(D).

Bob is correct. Not 'necessary required'.

Mike P.

The exception applies to the second set of an isolated green equipment grounding conductor that is used for the purposes of the type of receptacle with the orange triangle that is not one that is used in a dwelling.

HI's don't get into these areas unless the circuit that is run will be for that purpose, "where required for the reduction of electrical noise (electromagnetic interference) on the grounding circuit, a receptacle in which the grounding terminal is purposely insulated from the receptacle mounting means shall be permitted.

--

Joe

You are correct.

With our aging population, should a piece of medical equipment be required in the house, it might have to be isolated.???

Mike P.

“HI’s don’t get into these areas unless the circuit that is run will be for that purpose”

Joe

Please look at your original post. It asked a code question.

Mike P.

Mike:

That's right! Maybe a little research into this area would be of value, expecially if equipment instructions call for isolated grounding.

--

Joe

Question?

Should not those person installing medical equipment in homes be required to be certified and have their work inspected?

Retorical.

Mike P.

I think that is required?

See this as an example:

Quote:
Our technical staff includes certified biomedical equipment technicians, clinical engineers and radiology field service engineers. Technicians have completed a minimum of an associate's degree in biomedical engineering technology, with the average length of biomedical equipment maintenance experience of nine years.

Our technicians have certificates of completion from the leading manufacturer service training schools.

The experience of our staff allows NovaMed to understand and respond to each hospital's need for a professional and effective clinical equipment service team.

How does the HI inspect that circuit to see if it was installed properly?

--