Are you interested in performing residential energy audits?

Tell me why a citizen would want to forfeit their tax credit for the “benefit” of receiving an audit from a Ben Gromicko trained inspector…rather than a State Certified Inspector.

Well Jim, first, you are incorrect about it being a “tax credit” (cash) in MO. It is only a tax deduction.

Second, you are assuming that the only market for energy audits are consumers looking for a tax deduction. It is our experience that many (not all, but many) energy audits (often sold by inspectors during the inspection) are purchased by clients that actually want the information. In fact, 99.9% of all types of inspections (radon, water, mold, general home inspections, commercial property, meth) are performed for consumers who simply want the information.

I thought I read a few months back that InterNACHI had teamed with RESNET?

Am I wrong?

We work with all of them. In fact, one of them is coming here for 2 weeks in February to put their entire training on www.nachi.tv

The Studio will be devoted to this project for the full 2 weeks and both organizations will be working 2 shifts to complete the project in that time frame.

Joe, I think you are referring to this: http://www.nachi.org/energy-star-application-2009.htm

Many inspectors have started adding “energy evaluations” to their home inspection
package in order to make the value of their inspection worth the higher fee.

I get calls from people who want an IR scan and energy evaluation, with no written
report. Like Nick said, some just want to know where the energy issues are in
their home. Some call me for energy evaluations and want the written report so
they can use it as a template to begin working on some of the issues, as they
can afford it. We try to explain the “sweet spot” of where they can get the most
bang for their buck.

I have met many a RESNET and BPI inspectors who have told me that the demand
for the highest level of certified inspections is not really where they make most of
their money. They mainly do a more simple evaluation for people that just want
to save money on their bills.

I think RESNET and BPI are great classes and serve a good purpose, so don’t get
me wrong. But most of them are done without and IR camera and are full of
holes, to be honest. I come behind them all the time with my IR camera and
get them trouble quite often, even without intending to do so.

The energy audit field and market demand is very diverse … IMHO. I know of
several who spent the big bucks on all the right certifications and high dollar
tools who are not making any money. Then I know of guys who are doing
a more simple energy evaluation and help with the weatherization of the house
and make lots of money. It has a lot to do with your ability to communicate…
IMHO.

I’m always interested in what iNACHI is doing, but
I’m wondering how this will stand up against our utility companies, who are offering FREE energy audits?
And how about against the HERS rated folks, who’ve spent an inordinate amount of time and money for
professional energy audit training, and advertising in the likes of Fine Homebuilding, and other trade mags
for similar rates as the home inspection industry?

This sounds great bring on the training:)

See if this helps.

http://dbase.fsec.ucf.edu/pls/engauge/engauge_search_rater

Looks like you have to have a real certification to do real energy audits in Florida.

You are both incorrect. The link Greg gave does not point to a government site. Besides, scroll down on your link and read the Rating Classes. They are private training “certifications” (not state issued certifications or licenses) for specific programs. Nothing to do with the State of Florida licensing energy auditors… because the State of Florida doesn’t.

We will just have to disagree about that.

Greg, you would think that if the State of Florida began licensing energy auditors, they’d have a webpage somewhere about it. What is your explanation of the legislation regarding the licensing of energy auditors in Florida magically disappearing from the public record? Do you recall what the vote was?

There was no legislation, there was no vote, and there is no Florida government webpage for a reason… it never happened. Call your DOPR tomorrow and ask to be put through to the Energy Auditors Licensing Division.

Sweet, as I got an email from AHIT for energy Audit course $695.
ouch just a little high!

Does anyone know of a IR business class? I thought I got an email for an intro class for $49 that touched mainly on the the business end.

Nick, INACHI is AWESOME! THANK YOU for yet more excellent education!

The official InterNAiCHI Infrared Certified Training Class (live webinar), that also helps students buy the lowest price IR cameras in the USA.

I trained for RESNET, BPI and LEEDS certs (LEEDS is pretty much worthless because it is more for large commercial buildings and is politcally driven, not functionality driven).

Illinois has no licensing or certification requirements, but I have it just to learn.

As John stated, most people don’t care a fig for all the calculations and technical stuff. I have NEVER seen a house that meets the RESNET standard of 0.5 ACH, most are 6 to 10 ACH (new construction) and older houses are as high as 12 - 15. Around here, pople just don’t build to these standards. Not required by locak code, no one is interested.

I do many walk and talks or inspections with a report that looks like a regular HI report, but deals only with energy and safety issues.

See a sample report, here:

http://deckerhomeservices.com/Sample_Reports_files/Sample%20Energy%20Audit.pdf

This is an actual report for a client, but the name and address was changed.

Big market for this. I covered this as part of my Thermal Imaging and Building Science course. I have found that the simgle biggest cost / benefit ratio fix is in sealing the exterior wall penetrations and the rim joists.

Hope this helps;

great report and service, will.
can you give us a range as to what you charge for that type of inspection and report?

Tennessee requires certification but does not recognize BPI and RESNET! Go figure!
Certifications are required to qualify for certain “programs”.
Many people are not interested in the “program”, or don’t even qualify for it (because they’re not 200% below the poverty level to qualify).

Some of the tax deduction/rebate type stuff has to do with the cost of materials you purchase, not the cost of implementing the entire program, so many clients will be entitled to some compensation just by providing the material lists.

Some people just want to be “comfortable”!
The majority of people that call from my website have a “comfort issue” not just high utility bills (which is less important to many of them than comfort).