Areas of Home Inspection

Originally Posted By: Scott Green
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just curious what areas of the home inspection process you found the most difficult when you were first starting out (HVAC, Electrical, etc.) Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

That would depend on your area of expertise. If you have a

background in foundations and framing, you would find that

easy to do, but have difficulty with the mechanicals. If you are

knowledgeable about electrical systems, or HVAC, or roofing--

foundations are a bear to understand.

But, in time, if you take courses in your weak areas, and pay

attention to posts on this message board, you will strengthen

yourself in many areas. You may never be an expert in any

particular field, but that is not a requirement to be a good

inspector.

Heck, I don't crap about anything, myself, but I'm actaully

a very inept inspector...oh, well... ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif) ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
"not just an inspection, but an education"

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Scott,

For me, one of the most difficult areas was and still is marketing my services. I’m always trying new ways, some work, some don’t. It takes time to get accepted as a knowlegable, reliable inspector. When actually on the job, my biggest weakness is electrical. There’s a lot to it, especially on older homes where “upgrades” and “improvements” have been done. Fortunately, the NACHI boards are a great source of information. I also recommend getting to know qualified contractors in fields you may not be as comfortable with, who you can call for advice

on the fly.

Stu

Originally Posted By: tpszczolkowski

55 years old…weight in about 250 lbs…hardest thing - climbing the roof

Originally Posted By: Scott Green

Thanks for the comments. I am preparing to take AHIT’s course in December (and joining NACHI thereafter) This board is an incredible resource as there is somthing of interest every day. Thanks to all for sharing their experiences.

Scott

Originally Posted By: jrivera

tpszczolkowski wrote:
55 years old......weight in about 250 lbs........hardest thing - climbing the roof

Not for nuttin' but I would think pronouncing/spelling your last name would be hardest.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)