I just got off the phone with the State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries and specifically the person that runs the section that deals with asbestos.

The question I asked was, “As a generalist home inspector that is reporting on a popcorn ceiling or transite pipe, or other well known ACM’s, are we allowed to put in our report, ‘this material may contain asbestos and further inspection / testing by a licensed asbestos inspector will be needed for proper identification’.”

We went over it any number of times and his opinion was that since we are not performing a specific asbestos inspection or mitigation, we are allowed to use the MAY CONTAIN terminology and refer it off to a licensed / certified asbestos inspector. Once you become certified, you are bound by a specific set of rules. Until you become licensed / certified, you may continue to refer off to a specialist.