ashi changes

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

gromicko wrote:
Scott:

Thank you for being so willing to answer these questions. I'm hoping that you become a NACHI member soon... or at least a NACHI/ASHI member... heck, I'd settle for having you be an ASHI/NACHI member, just get over here.

Anyway... I often see ASHI members using the phrase:

"ASHI Certified"

If ASHI doesn't certify its members... is this phrase wrong, or am I missing something?

Nick

ASHI will only certify that a person is a member of the society, they do not certify their quality or work as this would be impossible to do, but I have seen over the years a few using "ASHI Certified" I asked and found out that many years back ASHI did certify its members as NACHI does, but under the advice of council it was changed to only certifying their membership in the society.

Those that are using the term Certified Member are not in the wrong, they are just using the term as y'all do. The word Certify has a strong impact with the consumer and many use it as part of their title, similar to Master as a way of marketing themselves as more knowledgeable or experienced. As more and more of the states regulate and license terms like this will have little meaning to the consumer as being licensed has more of an impact than being certified.

From Websters online:
Main Entry: cer?ti?fy
Pronunciation: 's&r-t&-"fI
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -fied; -fy?ing
Etymology: Middle English certifien, from Middle French certifier, from Late Latin certificare, from Latin certus certain -- more at CERTAIN
1 : to attest authoritatively: as a : CONFIRM b : to present in formal communication c : to attest as being true or as represented or as meeting a standard d : to attest officially to the insanity of
2 : to inform with certainty : ASSURE
3 : to guarantee (a personal check) as to signature and amount by so indicating on the face
4 : CERTIFICATE, LICENSE
- cer?ti?fi?able /-"fI-&-b&l/ adjective
- cer?ti?fi?ably /-blE/ adverb
- cer?ti?fi?er /-"fI(-&)r/ noun

Scott

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Good info all around. I like the cliff notes version. Ok so Nick, the Virtual Home Inspection Tour is really cool. Is there anyone out there that knows how or who to get a NACHI version? Better and easier to use. icon_lol.gif The impact is pretty cool, and if anything the tour will keep people at your site longer which translates into more business.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I tried the tour last night but it wouldn’t load fast enough…after a few minutes of waiting, I gave up…and I have a cable modem conx.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbowers

, extra requirements (more tests means more fees again, etc). It never flew!!

Allowing members to be "Certified Members" would downplay the potential new designation (but it never got off the ground).

Anyway thats when ASHI themselves quit referring to full members as "Certified Members" - however, the BOD made it clear that although ASHI would not be using the term in its PR, etc - the existing members could or could not continue doing so.

Thats why!!

It was however

Kevin, I had the same problem at the ASHI site, but when I went to a ASHI member site that had the tour it worked fine, and fast.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dharris

What about the 249 non-certified inspections an inspector has to perform without being ASHI certified. Does this mean the customer gets any less of a professional inspection for those as apposed to after?

Kevin the same question could be asked of insurance companys that won't insure you or charge a additional fees until you have a minuium # of inspections

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Scott,

Here is a full member, since about 1990 or 91, who will likely NOT renew when renewal time comes.

As much as you are FOR ASHI, I am AGAINST ASHI.

If possible, I would like to take you with me when I leave, but I know I cannot clear your head of that propaganda, so I won't even try.

I'll let you live your ASHI life. NOW, would you LET US LIVE OUR NON-ASHI LIFE?

Your chest beating and back patting simply shows that ASHI is something it is not. ASHI THINKS it still means something. Some of us are trying to make NACHI into what ASHI could have been (note, I did not say 'what ASHI was, or what ASHI is - for those who are reading this and contemplating the other topic under discussion - we DO NOT WANT NACHI to become ASHI --- NOPE, NO WAY --- we want NACHI to go to the next level).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Good posting Mr. Peck. I will admit I thought less of you. For that I will spank myself 50, no wait 60 times. icon_wink.gif

NACHI MAB!

jpeck wrote:
Scott,

Here is a full member, since about 1990 or 91, who will likely NOT renew when renewal time comes.

As much as you are FOR ASHI, I am AGAINST ASHI.

If possible, I would like to take you with me when I leave, but I know I cannot clear your head of that propaganda, so I won't even try.

I'll let you live your ASHI life. NOW, would you LET US LIVE OUR NON-ASHI LIFE?

Your chest beating and back patting simply shows that ASHI is something it is not. ASHI THINKS it still means something. Some of us are trying to make NACHI into what ASHI could have been (note, I did not say 'what ASHI was, or what ASHI is - for those who are reading this and contemplating the other topic under discussion - we DO NOT WANT NACHI to become ASHI --- NOPE, NO WAY --- we want NACHI to go to the next level).

Jerry,

Yes, I enjoy being a member if ASHI. Being a member has increased my business, what more can I ask for. I have made many good if not life long friends across the country. Simply said ASHI has and is working for me, just as NACHI is working for many who belong to it.

In my market you don't need to belong to any professional organization to make it in the profession. In the 10 years that I have been an inspector, I can't think of any time that I had been asked if I belonged to ASHI or any association. It's just not that big of deal in the south as in other areas of the country, yet I joined one to further my knowledge in every aspect that I can related to our profession. I chose to get involved to help others learn about the profession and to hopefully make a difference, I think that I have been able to do that.

Jerry, you have even spoken out with similar tones about NACHI and that you didn't know if you would remain a member of it because it was not being run as you wanted it to be. If memory serves me I also remember a similar point of view that you shared about your association in Florida. What is it that you want?

Every association needs to be different to survive. They each need to find their own niche of the home inspector market share, and this is what NACHI, ASHI and NAHI have all done. Is one better than the other, who knows and who is to say? They are all different and serve the different needs of the individuals who belong.

I am not going to argue the merits of the various associations, they all have positives and negatives. The true measure of success comes with the individual inspector and the quality of their work and I don’t know of any association that can guarantee this to the consumer.

Scott

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Scott Patterson wrote:
Jerry,

Yes, I enjoy being a member if ASHI. Being a member has increased my business, what more can I ask for. I have made many good if not life long friends across the country. Simply said ASHI has and is working for me, just as NACHI is working for many who belong to it.

Very good for you Scott. Now, just quit trying to force ASHI on NACHI people. Can you imagine someone trying to force NACHI on ASHI members through the ASHI forum? Think the ASHI forum would even allow it? Nope. Do you still not see part of the problem?

Quote:
Jerry, you have even spoken out with similar tones about NACHI and that you didn't know if you would remain a member of it because it was not being run as you wanted it to be.

I am still trying to get NACHI to be membership run. Just like I tried to get ASHI back to its membership roots. Is there a problem with trying to get an association to its members? If there is, then you may have been part of the ASHI problem is forcing members to do what they did not want.

Quote:
If memory serves me I also remember a similar point of view that you shared about your association in Florida.

There is where your memory fails to serve you correctly.

Quote:
Every association needs to be different to survive. They each need to find their own niche of the home inspector market share, and this is what NACHI, ASHI and NAHI have all done. Is one better than the other, who knows and who is to say? They are all different and serve the different needs of the individuals who belong.

Exactly what I have been saying. They need to serve their members, not demand things their members do not want. The members should be given the choice on what to do, not be forced to pay (in ASHI's example) a $250 unwanted tax for marketing when there was no membership vote on it.

Quote:
I am not going to argue the merits of the various associations, they all have positives and negatives.

Excellent! Then you will stop carrying on about ASHI on the NACHI forum? Very good. Thank you.

Quote:
The true measure of success comes with the individual inspector and the quality of their work and I don't know of any association that can guarantee this to the consumer.

There are none. It is up to the individual inspector. Hmmmm, if you don't know of any association which can do that, then why do you believe ASHI branding is for the consumer?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Hi Scott,

Glad you made it over to NACHI, past differences aside I do believe that you have our profession's best interest at heart. Stick around you may find a freedom lacking elsewhere.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Scott,

Is ASHI still forcing members to pay for that "branding" stuff?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

jmyers wrote:
Scott,

Is ASHI still forcing members to pay for that "branding" stuff?

Joe Myers

I paid my assessment for this year. I have not seen the budget for 2005, this will be presented at the July BoD meeting in Atlanta, week after next. The BoD's will need to vote on it at that point.

Everything from now on as for the dues will be no different than before the assessment. We will still have yearly dues, as for the cost of those dues I don't know and will not know until the BoD decide.

I have no idea how those that did not pay the assessment will be handled in the new year other than they will be given the chance to pay the assessment as everyone else did.

Joe H. was correct that those that did not pay the assessment were put on Administrative Suspension on April 1, 2004.

Scott

Originally Posted By: ebeahm1

Quote:
In the 10 years that I have been an inspector, I can't think of any time that I had been asked if I belonged to ASHI or any association. It's just not that big of deal in the south as in other areas of the country
Earl

ebeahm1 wrote:
Scott,

WOW! What a business! Over 3700 inspections in 10 years. That's an average of over 2 a day every year for 10 years.

I work hard. Up until this year I did on the average 3 basic home inspections a day. My best year (2002) was 432 inspections, and I only work M-F. I also do EIFS inspections. My day starts at 8 AM and I end when I am done many times it is after 6 PM. Many days I might do 4-6 inspections, not all are your basic home inspection many are specialty inspections. As I said I work hard, you can have the same numbers and more important the income if you get out and work for it. Inspection numbers are not that important, it is what goes into the bank that is. I'm shooting for around 300 inspections this year, but without a reduction in revenue. So my advice is to get out and work and don't worry what others are doing it will drive you crazy.

Quote:
If you're not a 1 man business, I'm curious to know if you require your employees to be ASHI members, since you have stated that you have never been asked to join any association?

I never said that I have not been asked to join any association. You need to read the response correctly. I said: In the 10 years that I have been an inspector, I can't think of any time that I had been asked if I belonged to ASHI or any association. I do have a helper that I hire on some of my jobs. If I did have multi inspectors I would require them to join ASHI, but I would also pay for their membership as part of their compensation package.

Scott

Originally Posted By: ebeahm1

Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me. I truly admire your work ethic! I hope I can get my business up to those numbers in the future.

Good luck in the future.

Earl