ASHI Inspector screws up another inspection.

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS…OF THE WORLD. Lets do this with great pride in our organization, ladies and gentlemen.

My check will be in the mail tonight.

And if you all could do the same (amount doesn't matter), this donation would be going towards a very needy cause. You can be part of this wonderful achievement that Nick has supported since day 1. Lets' all contribute something. Let's see... 881 registered board members x $20.00=$17,620.00. WOW

Nick,

Please make it a point to advertise this generous donation and the fact that we are supporting Sharon. We all want publicity for NACHI.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Anyone who wants to contribute to the fund to please send checks to

The NACHI Foundation
PO Box 722
Millersville, MD 21108

Put Clemons in the Memo line.

I feel that this is a great way for NACHI to really do some good and show our support to the community. Already we are donating $1000.00 to the Clemons's on Friday. But that will be just a start to help out a dire situation. Also Greg Bell has sent a great letter to the reporter down in FL to show our support.

As was stated before, if everyone just sent $20 we would be well on our way to helping out.

Gary Johnson

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hi Gary I just sent out my check. You will have it in the morning.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jmyers

I don’t know about the rest of you but this is making me think I should start carrying around a stethoscope on my inspections. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: psabados

Ditto Greg

My check is also in the mail. Hope more follow through.

Greg, keep us posted on current events PLEASE!

Paul

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

www.nachi.org/ashiexperience.htm

Nick

Here is another story related to this fiasc in Florida…

http://www.wftv.com/houseandhome/2567939/detail.html

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

I just put in a phone call and an e-mail to the TV station. Also I have called and talked to a couple of the Station in the Baltimore, MD area. Someone from one of them is supposed to get back to me to run on a consumer wathc segment, I will let everyone know.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: arosenbaum

jfarsetta wrote:
Let's not be too quick to blame the inspector, no matter how many years of experience he has or doesnt have. The truth is, here in NY you can work for a pesticide applicator, have taken the course and exam to become a licensed pesticide tech, and perform termite inspections also. In that case, the applicator or technician, in many instances, could very well be deemed the "expert" witness in a court case against an HI simply because they specialize in the termite business, regardless of the fact that they have NO construction or HI background at all. Here in NY, our own Barry Stangel consults for the State's DEC. Does any of us think we'd have a snowballs chance in hell of rebutting him in court regarding an inspection. Yet, he has NO construction or HI background. Now, in the state of Florida, where this particular inspection took place, the state deemed this inspector an expert in his field by giving him a license to conduct WDI inspections.

Its easy for any Monday morning quarterback to say that someone else would have or should have seen evidence of something. Truth is, none of us can say for sure what was visible and what was not. As our inspections are non-invasive, can any of us state with any degree of certainty that we couldnt find ourselves in a similar position someday?

I recently was called back to an older home, where small portions of the hardwood floor appear to have been eaten away. I went back, and examined this section of the floor in the living room. Sure enough, it looked as if something has eaten small strip sections of the hardwood, where each piece meets, and along the top. Not a lot of damage. This affected about a 3 or 4 foot area, and was not extensive. But, what other problems lurked? The basement directly beneath this area was finished space. There was an area rug installed in the room, covering the damage, with furniture on top, at the time of the inspection. Was the damage there? Sure. How was I to find it? Was I expected to move the furniture and roll up the carpet? Of course not.

So, back to the Florida incident. With that degree of damage, I find it hard to believe that the Seller never saw or heard anything. For that type of damage to have occurred, those critters were there a long long time.

I also find it interesting that with all the "exterior" defects one engineer claimed were present, that nothing had manifested itself on the inside. With major support timbers allegedly eaten away, that there was no evidence of movement or cracking of sheetrock, each time the front door was slammed shut, is most interesting.

I agree that ASHI branding artificially raises the expectations of prospective clients as to an inspectors competence, which will cause some problems for those inspectors in the future, but lets not forget that this WAS an inspector with some experience and a license to perform WDI inspections. He was no neophite. So how could he have missed this? I have no clue, but it could happen to any of us...

It easy for an engineer who has just removed a large area of sheetrock or exterior siding to find damage and state that someone else should have or could have found it. Put in the nspectors shoes, with no invasive techniques available to him, would he say the same thing?

Maybe the inspector was competent, or maybe he was paid off or a complete idiot. We'll never know. Let's take the media spotlight away from the situation for a moment, and look at whatever non-subjective facts we know.

I'd like to actually use this forum to discuss how any of us would have found this extensive damage, and what techniques we use on a WDI inspection. Let's discuss and learn from each other...

I have to agree.... all the pictures that are on the website of where the story is, it shows sheetrock removed.... hell, even I could be a termite inspector if I can remove sheetrock and search for termites,etc.....

I'd just be walking around a house.... take my sledgehammer, and go crazy on the walls... jumping from one side of the room to the other, putting holes in the wall... and then the people would be like ![](upload://mWkT9geNwMed4hHNlCKPCl3b9RG.gif) and I would just say "I'm just checking for termite damage.... it won't cost you that much to fix"

But something must of brought the structural engineer's attention to open up sheetrock, though....something very bad...

Originally Posted By: arosenbaum

BTW, does Sharon Clemons have a paypal account?

Paypal = instant money ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Aaron,

Paypal does = instant money... However, we are trying to get a presence known and sending a check with Greg is good pr. Plus it looks better to have someone bring it over.

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

I want to try and get down to Orlando on Saturday to meet with the owners and Greg and see the extent of damage. Does anyone know the best way to get last minute airline tickets for a decent price besided priceline.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all

am I the only member who is bothered about the Nachi foundation getting involved in the miss fortune of an inspector of another org just to make some political gain ??

I'm sorry but this is just not sitting right with me, what would we be doing if this guy was a NAHI, FABI or NACHI member ?????

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry,

The way that I see this is that ASHI has seen the same article we read about the problem. They have had their chance to help out and have chosen to remain quite on the issue. Therefore we have agreed to come in and help. I would like to think that no matter what the organziation the inspector would belong to that we would have done the same thing.

Gary

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Gerry:

A better question to ask might be what is ASHI doing for there member?

I would hope if something like this happened to one of us we all would rally behind and help what ever way possible.

I don’t have all the info on this but has ASHI turned and run? or are they doing what they can to help the Inspector (there member) or the people involved?

I don’t see anybody bashing the Inspector per say, It’s more a, what you might say, ASHI what goes around comes around, and here it comes.

Originally Posted By: rstephens

Quote:
special fund to provide disaster relief to victims of the ASHI Experience.

Alot of customers and future customers may take this the wrong way. By doing this type of PR stunt we are opening a big can of worms that may not want to go back in the can. Gerry I agree that it could have been any of us. As many of you know I have been a termite inspector for some time now and even I have missed the obvious termite infestation, we are all human and can all make mistakes rather we are members of ASHI or NACHI.

I believe it is a bad idea there for I am not donating to this particular cause. I know that every one has the right to donate their money to any cause but I see this one is a waste of my money and bad PR for NACHI

It would be interesting to see the disclosure statement on this dwelling, if they do that in Fla.

Known termite problems, treatments performed, who has current contract etc. If the seller stated no problems in disclosure but the previous treating contractor shows differently on a report, they're in trouble.

If a general contractor can see signs of previous treatment, that bodes ill for the inspector. Especially when he reported the site clean with no activity. ![](upload://6O2cpyODySAoVD616QSIjpTcp5I.gif) ouch that's gona leave a mark!

I, too, am curious about why or how the county AHJ was called out and then a structural engineer? And how this all went down in just a few short weeks. There' gotta be a history here. Hopefully, more information will follow. This could really be a good learning experience for all.

Paul

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I e-mailed Nick on this one. I do not believe it is the best thing to bash ASHI over this incident. As much as I dislike ASHI and their attitude rgarding this industry, if NACHI is donating to help this family, they should just do it and shut up about it.

ASHI is doing nothing for their member. But, then again, what CAN they do? THey could send money, but they have no charitable arm with which to do it, I believe.

As to whether we, as NACHI, should be donating, the answer to the question is much more complex. Who decides where the money does? If NACHI is not donating to a bonafide charitable cause, can that affect our status, and the status of the tax-deductability of our individual and foundational donation? The biggest problem is deciding who gets money, and in what amount. Members can certainly write in where to direct their contribution, but I believe there are rules that go along with that move...

But, if we decide t move forward, the ASHI bashing must stop. As the org who welcomes new inspectors, we should realize that this may someday be one of our own members who screws up.

Now, there's clearly something funny going on with this house. The timeline makes no sense to me. Someone mentioned that a contractor found signs of a previous treatment. I did not read that anywhere. Regardless, if this is true, the property disclosure laws may come into play, if they exist in Florida.

AHJs and structural engineers coming to a house 2 months after it was purchased is most strange. Something definitely stinks.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe, I made the reference about the contractor. In the second article posted the following was stated to the press.

"But contractor Jeff Hewitt insists any competent inspector could not possibly have missed the obvious signs. And Hewitt points to the inspection report signed by (deleted) that says there's no previous termite activity. Hewitt says it's clear the house has been treated before. "

I based my statement on his quote to the media. I know, its the contractor blaming the inspector or the last one touching it, broke it. I agree with you Joe, something is really fishy here.

Paul