ASHI owns NHIE now

Originally Posted By: rhyland
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

An interesting fact: ASHI now owns the National Home Inspectors Examination (ASHI Reporter March 2005)

I believe this exam is the one Florida will require for licensing.

I see ASHI all over this Florida Bill 315.

But what puzzles me is that ASHI is putting out to dry its own candidates, which I believe out number its members.

Any insight? ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Richard, I have not seen the reporter you are talking about so I can't comment on the article, maybe you can post the text.

However the NHIE exam was originally developed by ASHI as a full members exam, and then ownership was passed to EBPHI I think around 5-6 years ago. ASHI state that the exam is no longer theirs, but as late as October last year ASHI commented that EBPHI are still paying them back from the original development costs, this makes ASHI's statement about NHIE being fully independent garbage as they still have a fiducary relationship with EBPHI,

Also I believe that all the board and question setters for EBPHI are/were ASHI members, I am not aware of members of any other orgs being involved in the process.

Until such time as ASHI has no financial control or relationship oner EBPHI, and the board of EBPHI contains representatives of other trade orgs, they can not be concidered truely independant IMHO.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hello Richard,

I hope that you will join us at the meeting in Orlando Friday night. I would like to hear how you feel that this bill has ASHI all over it. I would also like the chance to enlighten you on what is going to come after 315 fails. You will gain some great insight on the steps you need to take now if you want to be a home inspector in Florida three years from now.

Hope to see you Friday,

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Hi Gerry,

Looking at the article again with that information it could be ASHI is transferring full ownership to EBPHI.

Thank you for info

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I just thought it might be interesting to link to this. This post is from a while ago, but is still interesting:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=5732#5732

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://uiOHFsJ05spRk0vF3U3409s3g3E.html)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

thanks Chris, I had forgotten that you had posted all that. EBPHI has been a profit center for ASHI for a long time.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: dbowers

have traditonally been LOSS LEADERS to their association. In short it never carried its own weight nor paid for itself - this was a bone of contention to many ASHI members that knew the financial arrangements.

And NO the EBPHI Board was not totally ASHI Members - there used to be 2 Non-ASHI members on the Board. If I remember correctly, I think those 2 were a writer and a Legislator?? One of them might have rented office space from ASHI but I can't remember for sure.

The ONLY way for EBPHI & the NHIE to be a financial success WAS and STILL IS for MORE states to REQUIRE Licensure and for those states to REQUIRE the NHIE. Now does this help clarify things for all.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
I am against using the NHIE in Florida and will do what I can to prevent its use in Florida.

I fully agree. I had to take the NHIE for the county license here, and on my version of the test there were 10 or 11 questions about furnaces, about half of those were about boilers. One question was on steam boilers, and one on a gravity system. Only two questions were on A/C equipment. I remember because I kept looking for more AC questions.

Whether that was a glitch or planned, and Florida exam should be specific to the construction in this state, and the conditions we find here.

Our favorite saying here is "We don't care how you did it up north", and that should certainly apply to any Florida state licensing exam.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Joe,

Spring issue of the FABI newsletter, front page (President’s Message), last paragraph. “For those of you who do not know it, we have a coalition that consists of FABI, ASHI, NAHI and independent inspectors who operate in Florida, who have agreed to take their hats off and work together.”

I have a position paper from ASHI that is almost word for word the same verbage in HB315. The requirements for licensing is identical.

I will leave it up to anyone interested to figure out whose test will be used.

I can only think of four tests that would meet the requirements.

1. NHIE
2. FABI
3. ICC
4. NAHI

I wish that we had a test that would qualify but the truth is that we don't.
If you can think of any others please share them with me as I would like to know.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Hello Doug,

It is my understanding that NACHI was invited to join this group but the invitation was declined. I know that while Jeff Hooper is President that we will not be welcomed into the fold. I do hope that when FABI has a new President that we will all be able to work together and do what is best for the industry.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Hi Greg,

There may come a day when Florida will need to have some kind of legislation of regulations governing Home Inspectors. But like most I do not think it should be to the detriment of those who are already and have been doing business in the State. The whole thing has all the appearances of being high handed and one sided towards favoring the few over the many. I would love to see the Home inspectors in Florida start pulling the wagon in one direction. I have talked with other inspectors from around the nation and it appears our own worst enemy is Home Inspectors. We continue to eat our young and kill our wounded and there are those as can be attested to by the past poll that could case less that some will be put out of business because they would be “grandfathered” in (just as you and I would be). Right is right and wrong is wrong. I can’t see it any other way, it just is not in my make-up. As was posted some time ago by I forget who, there is plenty of time to gather “real data” and stats about real incidents where the home inspector failed to look out for their customers and build a law based on facts not rumor or emotions. There are just two many vague areas of this bill that are “we’ll fill in the blanks later”. None of us would sign a contract like that so why should we agree to support a law like that. I appreciate the civility that has surfaced in here on the subject. It can be discussed like adults and it can be resolved as long as all the egos are left at the door. Good talking with you.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I am at least one person who has posted that I would like to see a quantified need for home inspection licensing based on documented incidents of true harm done to home buyers by home inspectors. If no one can produce those statistics then the licensing would appear to be a false need.

Personally, I have no fear of licensing in that I have one now, and will do whatever needs to be done should this bill become law. The political side of me, however, hates to see the government regulating an industry in which when the facts are told may not need to be regulated in the first place.

Ditto.

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

I have been opposed to HB 315 from day one. The holes in the bill is my greatest concern. I believe we do have bad inspectors out there, but licensing will not fix this. We are generalist. For those that are licensed in a trade electrical, plumbing, HVAC do have an advantage from a marketing standpoint. They can post a license on their marketing materials. It does not mean that a licensed HVAC knows anymore about trusses or other components of a house outside of their specific training. I am in favor of strict educational requirements. I do believe a self paced online training would suffice along with passing an exam when completed. I would favor NACHI,ASHI,FABI proctoring these exams within its own trade association. Imagine if we could get this accomplished!

HB315 comes down to membership association $$$$$. No benefit to the consumer. Great benefit for those collecting the cash.

--
Jay Schwartz
Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc
www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com
Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org
NACHI - Legislative Committee Member
MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Could we (NACHI FL chapters) be proactive and construct a Florida Home Inspection exam to be used only in Florida?

An exam that would randomly access a data base that only applies to Florida residential construction including manufactured homes. When was the last time you inspected a; boiler, Hartford loop, oil burner, basement, radiator, sump pump, ground source heat pump, etc? ![eusa_boohoo.gif](upload://j5YiA2xAD08B5o0iRQIRihBL6mu.gif)

This exam could be used by Florida NACHI chapters. If and when Bill 315 is passed, we would have a Florida Home Inspection exam to be used state wide by everyone in or entering the home inspection profession.