ASHI Pushing for Tougher Laws in Georgia

Originally Posted By: jbushart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Posted on Sun, Aug. 28, 2005

Inspecting inspectors: Move afoot to regulate home inspection industry

By Linda S. Morris TELEGRAPH STAFF WRITER

Someone with a few tools, a flashlight and little else can call themselves a home inspector in Georgia.

While many inspectors are certified and have the experience and credentials to do a thorough job, a person with little or no experience can give an opinion about the condition of a house, commonly the most significant financial investment people make.

A national group of home inspectors is hoping that will change.

A group called the American Society of Home Inspectors wants to get laws passed which would create certain standards and licensing requirements for home inspectors.

"We are presently writing the bill up at this time and we've contacted a lobbyist," said Shannon Cory, president of the Georgia chapter of American Society of Home Inspectors, based in Atlanta. "We are going to be actively trying to promote this for our state."

Cory also owns Rainbow Home Inspection Inc., and he works for Inspection Training Associates, which teaches inspectors.
He said there are about 400 home inspectors in Atlanta alone and while he didn't have a statewide figure, his organization has 280 members throughout the state.

He said the push behind wanting regulation of the industry is to help the profession have standards clients can count on.
"We are trying to get builders to be licensed because real estate agents are licensed, appraisers are licensed, and if we're licensed that just makes us better professionals," he said. "If everyone has to meet the same standard, then there should be no problems."

Home inspectors most often are contacted by people planning to buy a house.

"An inspection is an objective visual examination of the physical structure and systems of a home, from roof to foundation," according to the American Society of Home Inspectors' Web site. "When problems or symptoms of problems are found, the inspector may recommend further evaluation or remedies."

During the 1999-2000 Georgia General Assembly, state Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, R-Ga., introduced a bill to require licensing and regulations of the home inspection industry. But by the time it was passed, the law basically only gave a definition of a home inspector and said the inspector must give a written report to the person requesting the inspection.

Bill Chambless, director of the Macon-Bibb County Bureau of Inspection and Fees, said he worked with Westmoreland and others to try to get the law passed.

Chambless said the bill was watered down because some people had a problem with the government passing a law without providing funding for it.

"I think it's a coming thing," Chambless said. "It's only a matter of time before the construction industry and contractors are going to be looking to require that people who inspect houses carry certification as well," he said. "I think it's time. I think it needs to be there."

Bill Chester, owner of Informed Decisions Inspection Services, a home inspection company in Perry, said he has warned real estate agents, who often refer inspectors to potential home buyers, to be careful who they recommend.

"All you need is a clip board and a pickup truck," he acknowledged. "Overall I think the home inspection business should be regulated. Some home inspectors are not qualified. We need to have some kind of code of ethics and tie it to qualifications and training and education."

According to a study by the American Society of Home Inspectors, just 30 states have any kind of law regarding home inspectors, and Georgia is in last place of those states. Key factors used to determine ranking includes emphasis on education, experience requirements, standards of practice and code of ethics.

"Legislators in each state must determine whether or not regulation is necessary to protect their constituents," national president Don Norman said in a news release.

Cory said he would like to see Georgia inspectors become licensed.

"I think it would enhance our professional abilities in the eyes of our clients, and it helps protect the public," he said.

He said there is no way to track complaints of home inspectors unless they are members of the American Society of Home Inspectors.

"There is no control at this point, unfortunately, because it doesn't give the client any recourse," he said.

REGULATION WOULD LESSEN COMPETITION

Not all home inspectors are sure government regulations would be beneficial.

Jove Tweddle, senior home inspector with National Home Inspections LLC in Macon, said he can't see how the regulations would change the work he does.

"My opinion is it is not going to change our level of excellence," said Tweddle, a member of the American Society of Home Inspectors. "For me, it's just another speed bump that I would cross over to get whatever accreditation the state may require. I don't have any problems doing that."

Until a new law is created, he said, he is uncertain whether state regulations would prevent unscrupulous home inspectors.

"It doesn't take long for somebody who isn't really upholding good standards of practice to get sued out of business," he said. "They don't last very long."

If inspectors are required to take a test and pay a fee, "that would require a little studying on their part," Tweddle said. "But, if it's just a matter of going and buying a license, then obviously they just have to come up with some money."

One positive aspect of government regulation is it would lessen competition, he said.

Chester said he is "fundamentally against government regulation," but he doesn't necessarily oppose new requirements.

"I don't think we do a good job of policing ourselves. I see some value in (having regulation)," he said.

Mike Rose, president of the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors based in Lawrenceville, said if only licenses are required without other education or training requirements, having a license wouldn't necessarily keep untrained people out of the business.

"I see nothing (in proposed regulations) for people striving for higher level of standards," Rose said.

His group spun out of the American Society of Home Inspectors several years ago.

Whether the industry is regulated or not, people wanting an inspection should look for qualified inspectors.

"The best thing for consumer protection is they need to do their homework, check out the background and qualifications of the person," he said. "That's where professional organizations like (the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors and the American Society of Home Inspectors) come in to play. To be members, they have to meet certain criteria. Right now, about 15 percent of people can pass the test."

INSPECTORS GO WHERE HOME BUYERS DON'T

One of the things home inspectors probably need to do a better job of doing is educating the public about what an inspection includes or does not include, inspectors said.

Many home buyers, they noted, confuse an appraisal with an inspection. An appraisal is an opinion of the value of the home, while an inspection determines the condition of the home.

Inspectors are looking for major deficiencies, Tweddle said.

"We're looking for expensive things that are really going to come back and haunt the home buyer," he said. "Obviously we are not going to find all the little insignificant things. We try to look for major things, like termite damage, major structural damage and all the mechanical systems, heating, air and electrical."

Inspectors say a thorough inspection should take at least two hours, and people looking for an inspector should read the contract carefully.

"If someone is advertising they can do one in an hour, that would be a red flag," Tweddle said.

The average cost of an inspection in Middle Georgia is about $250 for a 1,500- to 1,800-square-foot house built on a slab with no crawl space, Tweddle and Chester said.

"We want people to understand we are not selling them a warranty or a guarantee," Tweddle said. "All we are doing is looking, to the best of our ability, at what's there and what's visible at the time of the inspection."

Savvy home buyers can walk through a house and spot things inside the house they are concerned about, he said.

"But they are not going to crawl through the attic and crawl space," he said. "It's best to hire somebody to do the dirty work for you."

To contact Linda S. Morris, call 744-4223 or e-mail lmorris@macontel.com.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: dharris

Hmmm… Sounds like a conspiracy by the tool companies to sell more tools, icon_mad.gif icon_mad.gif go getem bushart.

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

The leadership of ASHI has been given a mandate by their membership to advocate for consumer protection through state licensing, it is but one aspect of ASHI’s Work Plan for 2005. ASHI’s message for Georgia is the same for the nation and can be found in their Position Statement on Regulation of Home Inspectors.

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jburkeson wrote:
The leadership of ASHI has been given a mandate by their membership to advocate for consumer protection through state licensing,

Georgia already has state licensing that was approved by its legislature and signed into law by its Governor. What ASHI members who want to
Quote:
lessen competition
are advocating is stricter licensing requirements.

It would have a tad bit more credibility if it were the consumers who were complaining.

This action by the Georgia ASHI Chapter mirrors Jeff Hooper's stated objective in Florida - get any law on the books that you can, then work from within to change it.

Whichever side of the fence you are on, if you are a home inspector you will need to become active and stay active to protect your interests, once proposed legislation is introduced.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

one: http://www.ashi.org/inspectors/join/candidate_application.htm

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

is a disclosure and trades practice bill, as opposed to a licensing bill.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2005_06/pdf/hb903.pdf

8-3-331.1.
This article shall be cumulative to and shall not prohibit or Nothing in this article shall preempt a political subdivision from prescribing enacting licensing requirements or rules and regulations for home inspectors that are more restrictive than the minimum standards and requirements set forth in this article.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Quote:
Get certified as a Home Inspector.

The next one week Home inspection class begins Monday September 12

Click here to register for the one week class:

The next weekend Home inspection class begins Sat. October 22

Click here to register for the weekend class:

Earn ASHI MRC credits for each of these courses.

"ASHI U and the ASHI U logo are copyrighted by ASHI Georgia. Used with permission of ASHI Georgia."

ASHI U training is provided by IUSA Training located in Roswell, Georgia. All of our instructors are Building Code Certified in one or more disciplines. Have a minimum of 10 years experience in property inspections and or have received specialized training in their field of instruction.

For further information feel free to call Stan A. Garnet @ 770-512-8228 or Carita Ferrell @ 770-552-1224 or email: Stan@WeTeachHouse.com

Easy payment plans provided by IUSA training starting at $250.00 per month. Click to view credit card and deferred payment pricing and plan.

Class sizes will be limited. Register early.

DIRECTIONS TO THE IUSA TRAINING INSTITUTE

When you take the ASHI U home inspection course it's like getting two courses for the price of one.

Learn The American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) standards and procedures while being prepped to take the National Home Inspection Examination. (NHIE). Write your test and earn your certification as a home inspector. The same certificate provides you with one of the criteria requirements of becoming a full member of The American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI).

Course fee is $1250.00 if paid by check

Pay by check: $1,250. Pay by Visa or MasterCard: $1,300:

Deferred payment: $1550.00 using our 6 payment plan

(The fee includes all books and study material)

This is a 48 hour course covering all aspects of the home inspection profession from furnaces to liability. It provides a "jump start" for those wishing to enter the home inspection field. This course uses the Carson Dunlop systems and Standards course material of Principles of Home Inspections and also prepares you to take the ASHI approved NHIE examination. This course is designed to result in a passing grade on the NHIE (ASHI) exam. Close attention to the ASHI training manual should result in a passing grade. Learn how to become a Home Inspector and earn your ASHI member certification at the same time.

This course is based on the ASHI Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics, and consists of class room, home study and an actual home inspection where you will prepare an inspection report on your findings. All is intended to provide the student with as much hands on experience as possible reinforced with excellent class room content to assist you in getting started in the home inspection business. This course also meets or exceeds the requirements needed to complete the HUD Homebuyer Protection Plan Valuation Conditions VC-1 through VC-12. This course is approved by the American Society of Home Inspectors, State of Georgia Real Estate Appraiser Board and the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission.

This course includes a real live home inspection out in the field. You have two choices of class time.
THE ONE WEEK CLASS
SIX FULL CONSECUTIVE DAYS from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. including an on site home inspection.

THE SATURDAY WEEKEND CLASS

SIX SATURDAYS OVER 6 WEEKS from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. including an on site home inspection.

Click here to register for the weekend class:

Click here for information on paying by visa or in installments.

http://www.shared.iusatraining.com/Deferred_Payment.html

Didn't find all your answers?

ASHI Exams FAQ

National Home Inspectors Exam

WEEKDAY CLASS: Monday - Saturday 8 AM - 5 PM
September 12 - 17, 2005 Start date is September 12

November 28 to December 3, 2005 Start date is November 28

WEEKEND CLASS: Saturdays only, 8 AM - 5 PM
October 22, 29, November 5, 12, 19, December 3 Start date is October 22

DIRECTIONS TO THE IUSA TRAINING CENTER

Back to top of page

If you feel you have received this informational package in error, please click ?reply and type in the wording please remove? to be removed and therefore, ?Opt-Out? of this mailing list. Unless this process is completed, you will continue to receive information from IUSA Training Centre. As always, you can "Opt-Out" at any time by clicking ?reply and type in the wording please remove?. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at iai@mindspring.com or 770-552-1224 or mail to IUSA Training Centre, 339 S. Atlanta St., Roswell, Georgia, 30075.

Looks like ASHI Georgia, through their efforts to promote a tougher law, is building quite a lucrative market for itself.

Interesting how they sell this course. 48 class hours and one home inspection and, according to ASHI Georgia, one is ready to "get started in the business". ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

What phonies. I sent a copy of this to the reporter that got duped into publishing their last press release as a newsworthy item.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jeffghooper

JB said

Quote:
Looks like ASHI Georgia, through their efforts to promote a tougher law, is building quite a lucrative market for itself.

Interesting how they sell this course. 48 class hours and one home inspection and, according to ASHI Georgia, one is ready to "get started in the business".

What phonies.

AND WHAT IS IN YOUR WALLET?

Glass Houses? Throwing stones again?

--
Jeff G. Hooper
(hooperette want a be) nachiBFD

Of course, if you were, it would discredit your statements of having honorable motives for pushing an agenda that would create a market for your company's services in Florida like ASHI is doing in Georgia. It would also dispute your claim of having no interest in them but as a private contractor.

Can you help me with this, Jeff? Send me an email or respond on the Florida thread, where the post would be on-topic.

--

www.monachi.org

JB,

Sure I will help.

No, I am not a partner. You can research the Corporate records for FL corporations on line t check.

I am one of two instructors for New Construction Training, Only. I have only taught one class this year. Your own Gerry B is the other instructor for new construction.

I do however help numerous teaching organizations when they ask, and Inspection Depot is one of them.

I teach building codes for Florida Atlantic University. Do you think they are in this money making scam you think exist?

I do not see why you think it is a problem for someone to give up there time to teach those who want education for a profit. Is it not a job? Is one not entitled to compensation for their time and expertise? Would you rather be taught for free by those who know nothing and have no credentials? Or do you think the rest of us somehow owe you our knowlege when we worked so hard to obtain this knowlege at our expense? Get in line at wellfare if you think so so you can get a hand out!

--
Jeff G. Hooper

Oh, JB,

For the 100th time,

My company is "Architectural Construction Technologies, Inc.' out of Palm Beach Gardens.

Go read the previous thread when I told you this, or check it out. Knock yourself out!.

--
Jeff G. Hooper

jeffghooper wrote:
No, I am not a partner. You can research the Corporate records for FL corporations on line t check.

As I am sure you know, Inspection Depot Training Institute is not incorporated, but is an entity owned by a corporation, Inspection Depot, Inc. As such, and quite conveniently, the record of ownership/partnership is not a matter for public record.

As for your questions, assuming they were not rhetorical, it is important for those observing the activities of those in the political arena to be able to identify the interests of those involved.

You are on the record as having stated that you are willing to accept a 650% decrease in your own income in order to help the home inspection profession obtain licensing. To all but a few, this statement by you is very difficult to accept as truth. On the other hand, if licensing were to mandate certain provisions that would benefit any other business (or businesses) that you hold an interest in, your motives would be more clear.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: gporter

This is getting really good.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

JB,

Quote:
To all but a few, this statement by you is very difficult to accept as truth.

Why, because you cannot believe someone would actually have good at heart, and might actually believe in others success? Because it would make a liar out of you if it were true?

Quote:
On the other hand, if licensing were to mandate certain provisions that would benefit any other business (or businesses) that you hold an interest in, your motives would be more clear.

It would make it more clear and easy for YOU to understand as it would support the preconceived notion and nonsence that you have about me. Incedentially, no specific courses were identified in the bills. That is something you made up. 28 comanies that provide inspection training were given to the state by me, directly to Kyle Mitchell of the DBPR. The list did not include Inspection Depot. So, pleae explain how I would benifit when I;

1. Do not own an intrest in the company you think I do.
2. I do not teach home inspection, only codes and new construction, something over most HI's head except the old dogs.

You have made some very strong claims again. You always demand proof from others, including me, when something is said, so now you put up. Prove I own an intrest, post it here, or shut up and quit making up lies and spreading BS. It only makes you look ignorant.

--
Jeff G. Hooper

jeffghooper wrote:
You have made some very strong claims again.

Better go back and read my post, again. I simply asked for your help in researching a rumor that I had heard. You directed me to a source that does not exist, regarding a business entity that is not incorporated.

But thanks for clearing that up.

--

www.monachi.org

JB,

Quote:
You are on the record as having stated that you are willing to accept a 650% decrease in your own income

NO, I answered your question in that thread. You asked me what I thought would happen and I told you that most likely my income would drop by that percent. That reading thing again? I am glad that my problems are with spelling.

--
Jeff G. Hooper

JB,

I am an expert witness. Expert witnesses have to be very careful not to break the law, or they are easily impeached. In Florida it would be unlawful to have a business that is not registered as a corp, LLC, S corp, or DBA. ALL are obtainable on line. State Law...

Your just making stuff up again aren't you. Boring day?

--
Jeff G. Hooper

jeffghooper wrote:
JB,

I am an expert witness. Expert witnesses have to be very careful not to break the law, or they are easily impeached. In Florida it would be unlawful to have a business that is not registered as a corp, LLC, S corp, or DBA. ALL are obtainable on line. State Law...

Your just making stuff up again aren't you. Boring day?

Apparently, your knowledge of the law is as limited as your spelling abilities. Have you ever heard of a sole proprietorship or partnership? Neither of these two very legal in Florida business entities require registration with the SoS and neither can be researched on-line. But then, being the "expert witness" that you are, you already knew that, didn't you? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

If you have yet to be impeached it is only because you have been opposed by some very incompetent attorneys.

--

www.monachi.org

JB,

Quote:
sole proprietorship or partnership? Neither of these two very legal in Florida business entities require registration

Yes, they do in Florida.

Quote:
If you have yet to be impeached it is only because you have been opposed by some very incompetent attorneys.

Another statement from you that cannot be proven. I will pass your thoughts on about their abilities to them. On second thought, I will not, as you are of no importance to them. They still make over $350,000 a year, what is in your wallet?

Quote:

Only the best in the State. Construction law and Real Estate. Want me to drop a few names so you can defame them individually?[/quote]

--
Jeff G. Hooper

In Florida, only fictitious names of sole proprietorships or partnerships need to be registered and then, as your associate Mike Rowan did with Inspection Depot Training Institute, there is no other information required. No annual report. No names of officers, etc. But then, you knew that too, didn’t you?

www.monachi.org