ASHI refuses to resolve complaints about their own.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

It appears that ASHI refuses to resolve complaints against their own Candidates. This consumer actually built a website concerning his complaint against an ASHI Candidate and claims that ASHI told him they don’t help consumers who use Candidates!

Here is the website the guy built: http://members.cox.net/rfankhauser/

Check out the third link down.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Does this mean that ASHI is recommending consumers stay away from their own Candidates? What does this mean?

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I responded to these folks some time ago. Unfortunately, few of the defects noted may have been obvious at the time of the inspection. NACHIs ESOP Committee receives complaints of this nature all the time. We try and help anyone we can. I asked the person for more information. The complaint started with us because, I believe, the Buyer believed that the Inspector was a NACHI member. Of course, he wasnt.

Regardless, I wonder if any inspector wopuld have pucked up all of these defects during an inspection. Like, when was the door pushed in. A birds nest in a bathroom fan duct? When did the pipe start to leak (any idiot would have found that wet ceiling), and some caulking was missing they discovered when painting? How high?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe: You are missing my point. I get complaints about ASHI inspectors all the time too. I learned something new here though…that being that ASHI doesn’t help consumers who have complaints against their own Candidates. Is this true?

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I’m not so interested in the complaint itself. I just want to know if ASHI refuses to help consumers who have complaints against their own Candidates. Is this true? Does anyone from ASHI know? Please answer.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Anything is possible (and likely probable) in this case. If a candidate cant use the ASHI logo, ASHI can easily disavow knowledge of their actions. I think that ASHI has no methodology to deal with complaints. I remember see this same discussion by ASHI guys somewhere. If I find it, I’ll post the link or article.

Joe Farsetta

What about Candidates with logo usage? You mean ASHI refuses to help consumers who have complaints against inspectors that have ASHI logos on their marketing literature !

I don't believe it. Can someone at ASHI let me know for sure please.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: dharris

Nick

I don’t have a clue how ashi handles complaints. Regardless of member status.

Fortunately I haven’t had an opportunity to find out

I am almost sure there is a 800 phone # for home buyers to call to place a complaint

My question is if this was a nachi member how would nachi handle it?
Just curious
Dan Harris

Quote:
I had a homeowner (unhappy with inspection by an ASHI member) send me a few e-mails regarding their experiences. This was the last one I received. This was part of the reply they got from ASHI.

1. Complaints regarding allegations of violations of the Code of Ethics by an ASHI Member or Candidate.

ASHI is in the process of implementing a strategic plan. One key element of our plan will be to adopt a position of advocacy which will influence how ASHI approaches questions of compliance to the Code of Ethics. Since that approach is not yet defined, ASHI has temporarily delayed the pursuit of these complaints pending the outcome of certain relevant elements in the strategic plan expected in 2004.

The inspection profession is experiencing a rapid evolution involving a growing number of regulations by states and the federal government. A majority of states now have some type of home inspector regulation and more are in the process of passing regulations that address improper business practices. It is appropriate that questionable business practices be addressed by the State or Federal agencies or consumer protection agencies that are normally part of governmental regulation. ASHI simply does not have the staff or financial resources to investigate every allegation and impose sanctions on our membership. ASHI supports aggressive governmental pursuit and enforcement of ethical misconduct violations by home inspectors.

Until a clear direction is established, any complaint we receive regarding the CoE will be filed for possible future disposition and a copy of the complaint, (with the complainants personal information removed), will be sent to the accused so that he/she is notified that a complaint has been filed. Although it is our intention to keep this information confidential, we cannot guarantee complete anonymity for the complainant.

--
Joe Farsetta

I would try to resolve it no matter who the inspector is or what organization he/she belongs to… and in fact I do resolve countless consumer complaints for our industry. See today’s http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=5472

The thing I'm wondering about... is it true that ASHI refuses to help any consumer with any complaint against their own Candidates and/or their own Candidates using the ASHI logo?

There is a very specific reason for me seeking the true answer to this question. I'm not going to trust the website I referenced in my original post on this thread. If anyone really knows for sure, please post here. It is very important either way.

I'm not trying to bash ASHI... I just want to know if it is true or false.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

. icon_wink.gif

Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil...

--
Joe Farsetta

I need to know.

When a consumer calls with a complaint against an inspector using the ASHI logo, I refer them to ASHI, assuming ASHI will handle their own.

If I am sending consumers to the wrong place, I need to know.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I am almost sure if complaint was in az, it is handled here, At the azashi 800# I don’t know if there is difference between canditates or members, or what is done nationwide

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

gromicko wrote:
I would try to resolve it no matter who the inspector is or what organization he/she belongs to... and in fact I do resolve countless consumer complaints for our industry. See today's http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=5472

Nick,

I believe that you are on to something that may help NACHI to move up to the next level in consumer relations. NACHI being a first-stop clearing house for consumer complaints, by documenting the complaint regardless of association affiliation and attempting to resolve the issue would place us on the forefront of consumer protection and drive consumers to our web site. I would be willing to devote time and energy documenting complaints and helping with inspector / consumer follow ups. We could in fact set up a committee that would share these duties.

A list of inspectors who refuse to to submit to the process would be publicly listed as such, inspectors who are willing to participate in the resolution process would be removed from the public list.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

[ icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

The man is a licensed engineer - did the engineering board help him with his complaint?? He is a member of the HIF for home inspectors - did they help him with his complaint?? He complained to the Oklahoma Board that regulates home inspectors - they told him they didn't regulate them back in 2001!! He complained about Travelers Insurance would not help him - more than likely the man had general liability insurance (not E&O).

Even if he did have E&O insurance - think about these petty complaints and the deductible - how much does it cost to remove a birds nest from an exhaust vent, or realign a door strike, or reglue a PVC pipe leak.

Lets get basic - this guys complaints are petty stuff in the homeownership process - yet 3 years later hes got the time to build a web site about them. This guy sounds like a back-biting vindicative cretin - the kind that most decent home inspectors fear - the home buyer from hell.

He lived in the house 3-4 months before he noticed the wet ceiling - maybe it wasn't there 3 months before that. It was drain pipe in the cavity between 2 finished floors of his house - pretty damn hard to not spot living in the house - maybe it jut started leaking OR maybe it was so small the insulation had absorbed it before. I don't discuss chips in the door trim if the door opens for me. The bird could have built a nest in less than 2 days time - by the way did we remove the exhaust cap to see if a nest was inside??? I have a mailing list of ASHI candidates for 12 states and I don't see Cravens on it - maybe my list is out of date or????

To reiterate an earlier statement I made - if I had a complaint like this that was not for an ethics violation, fraud, continued gross negligence, etc. - ANY group I belong to had better stay way the hell out of my personal business and out of my business decisions. Any asociation that got involved on this type of complaint is way out in left field.

Final comment - WHAT ABOUT THE SELLER IF HE THINKS HE GOT RIPPED?
This whole thing sounds like a CROCK.

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

gromicko wrote:
I'm not so interested in the complaint itself. I just want to know if ASHI refuses to help consumers who have complaints against their own Candidates. Is this true? Does anyone from ASHI know? Please answer.

Dan

I also feel Nick is on to something here. As he states, he is not interested in the complaint itself but rather the fact that ASHI refuses to help consumers who have complaints.

Nick

Hope you get an answer soon. If I follow your thinking this could have quite an impact on both ASHI [negatively] and NACHI [positively] ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif) ![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

Originally Posted By: cradan

Quote:
My question is if this was a nachi member how would nachi handle it?
Just curious
Dan Harris

Perhaps the best (and still unanswered) question of all. There seems to be little argument that certain other H.I. professional organizations do not, will not or cannot "keep their own houses clean" with respect to the professional performance of their own members. Whether we (NACHI) ought to take a more active role in such issues throughout the industry is certainly open for debate...I'm sure our members would provide a variety of opinions on the subject.

As regards our own members, I recall a lengthy thread concerning the "NACHI Arbitration Service" back in November/December of '03. When I clicked on "Membership Benefits" on the site toolbar, and selected the Arbitration Service link, I was linked right into that discussion thread. Nick provided a phone number somewhere in the thread, and described the creation of the Service. My question is, does the Arbitration Service functionally exist? If so, how have our own efforts to resolve complaints against organization members gone so far? Any statistics, i.e. number of complaints lodged with the Arbitration Service? General nature of the complaints? Number of complaints resolved vs. unresolved? Before we can have a debate on positioning NACHI as a (or the) preeminent H.I. consumer protection association, how's the documented cleanliness level in our own house?

My $0.02? If we can answer that last question with some authority, we've definitely got more to talk about. If we can't, I'm not sure we want to be sprinting down this particular path just yet...

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Nicks on to something all right.

If you noticed previous postings on this subject they were on members only section

The way I see it nick is painting this org as lilly white without responding directly when asked about nachi members complaints, Thus attempting to making nachi inspectors error free in the public eye.

Pretty high expeditions, are you ready for it when and if something goes wrong?

Things do go wrong. It comes with the territory in this business.

If I get any consumer complaint about ANY inspector I do the following:

I try to determine if the inspector is a members of a trade association. If the inspector is a member of trade association, I refer the consumer to that association and advise them to contact that association. HOWEVER, I am going to stop sending them to ASHI if ASHI doesn't want them.

I don't want to knowingly mislead or send consumers into a brick wall.

I just spoke with Gary Johnson on the phone and it looks like between the two of us we receive about 20 complaints a week each. Joe Farsetta gets some too. Joe Ferry gets some too. We need to be pointing consumers in the right direction.

Lilly white Nick ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.