Asked to do a construction inspection

No one can fault your decision. “Discretion is the better part of valor.”

And yes, being candid with your client, ups your credibility.

1 Like

Many inspectors think that shows weakness. When, in reality, it ups your value and integrity as an inspector.

1 Like

And, if you missed Randy’s generous offer, here it is again. Thanks Randy!

1 Like

Here is another golden nugget and one of the reasons why we try to welcome newcomers to our forum (Not that you are new, Anthony),…where there are no stupid questions.

The very best to you in your quest to move ahead and better yourself as an inspector and InterNACHI member!

If you have time to digest all the advice here and links and learn building code for soil prep, foundation, electrical, plumbing and all that impacts prepour then I say go for it. Same with predrywall. But that is a big ask for even experienced construction guys. I love construction inspections and do residential and commercial but I know I had better be on my game because you miss a poorly prepared soil or prepped foundation, or plumbing that is going to leak…you will be that guy we inspect behind and inform that client that something was done wrong. They are fun inspections and I hope you study and do a ride along and do them. Inspectors everywhere need to help each other. Here in Central Texas we give referrals and share and we have someone else to call immediately when we have questions…we should all cultivate positive, noncompetitive relationships with nearby inspectors. it has paid off big time in camaraderie, knowledge and even revenue for me.

3 Likes

Another gold nugget… :smile:

Hi Randy, I know this was several years ago, but if your offer still stands, would you please send me a copy of your phase inspection agreement. pmd@pmdinspect.com. Thank you.

i’ve been doing construction inspections for years. for the typical homeowner i do pre foundation, a pre drywall inspection. that is after roof is loaded and house is lathed. then i do an inspection after they get a certificate of occupancy.

its always good to know your limitations. if you aren’t qualified find someone who is to refer your client to. then accompany the inspector to learn.

you should be familiar with nailing requirements, fire blocking and fire stops, nail stoppers, FHA straps and framing hardware installation, foundation bolt requirements, rough plumbing and electrical, shear panel nailing, lathing, roofing flashings and underlayments. its a lot but as you get familiar its not so difficult. i only report on deficiencies. usually the builder or his rep will do the same thing as will the building department. i did one last week. i sent an email with pics and my comments. after all inspections are done i provide a consolidated report. they are going to have me do an inspection after they get a CO. i use a different inspection agreement too. the foundation had already been poured before they went into escrow so no foundation inspection.