Asphalt shingle damage

What causes this horizontal wear or cracking? House built in 1997.

It’s hard to tell, but that looks more like mechanical damage from maybe a tree limb than a manufacturing defect.

Gerry

Was it up near the ridge?

Were there similar marks on the othe side of the ridge?

Maybe something was straddling the ridge?

I agree with mechanical damage but seems too uniform and staight for tree limbs.

Kind of- Upper 1/3

No, just the one area.

Possibly, but I don’t think so.

There was a small tree in the area, but I don’t think that’s what caused them

Some of the shingles were a bit “brittle” as well. If you look closely in the second picture.

Too low on the shingle to be wind. Were these the only two with this damage?

Quiz time
how old would you guys say the tile is?

What tile is that, Bob?

Looks like they could possibly have been stuck together in the bundle. they are offset in the packaging and when it gets too warm they sometimes stick together causing damage like what is seen. Just one option, if it were just several in the area.

Tend to agree damage is to uniformed could have been done when shingles were being installed. just by looking at pictures shingles don.t look to be real old I would guess 5-10 years

There is a vertical crack starting in one of the shingles and the ends of the shingles appear to be in the first stage of curling. In SW Fla I would say the shingles are about 10 to 15 years old.

It doesnt matter how old they are. When fiberglass is showing on the edges, then the roofs days are numbered. Several things can amount to wear on roofs. Pitch, manufacturer, application, weather conditions and debris growing on shingles. I have torn roofs off that were well over 20 years with no tar paper, and replaced only a couple of sheets of wood underneath. You would have never guessed the shingles were more than 12 years old. Then I have seen 12 year old roofs that look like crap, and almost worn out. I would say if they could get another 5 years out of thet roof they will be doing good

I say 12 -15

I’m judging by your photos that those are damage to two separate shingles. Because the have almost identical characteristics, I’d say manufacturing defect.