Attached Garage Fire Containment. Please proof this new inspection article.

Kind of like the difference between an ‘electrical sub-panel’ that the San Joaquin County article discusses and a ‘remote distribution panel’, huh? One is the correct terminology, the other is not.

:mrgreen::wink:

I have taken and used several of the articles, with slight wording changes. Nick has let us perform those changes if we wish, after copy/paste to your computer. That is a great option for these articles. Codes/citys/opinions vary. Nick, keep 'em coming.

No, no, no Gary…no fence sitting! Call it one way or the other…fire wall or separation wall :mrgreen: I know I lost this battle about 12 posts ago. At least we discussed it but I have to say I’m very disappointed that we couldn’t figure out a way to get politics involved…we came close though. Nite y’all :wink:

Jeff Pope calls it

Again, I think the word “fire” has to be in there somewhere.

Michael asks:

Because it isn’t necessarily rated, yet still attempts to contain a fire.

???

I vote DUH. :smiley:

But the wall isn’t fire rated. Who came out and rated the wall? The door in the wall might be rated. The wall isn’t, necessarily.

That’s why I don’t like the word “rated.”

Calling it something that includes the word rated implies that we as home inspectors confirm its integrity.

A fire rated wall does something.
A firewall strives to do something.

I vote for a 3rd party candidate

Excellent! You’re coming around :smiley: I agree that the word ‘fire’ should be somewhere in the description but not necessarily an adjective of ‘wall’. Also, remember that a separation wall is also used to slow the spread of noxious or toxic fumes from the garage, i.e CO, gasoline vapors, dirty tennis shoes, etc. So, should it then be a ‘fire fume odor separation wall’?

The article in question only refers to a ‘fire wall’ in two obscure places. We (I’m) are making a mountain out of a molehill here. :roll:

Fire-Rated Wood-Frame Wall and Floor/Ceiling Assemblies

Those are for full 1-hour and more ratings Mike.
They consist of 5/8 firecode drywall.

The wall system for residential is more commonly 1/2" drywall and is only rated for 45 minutes.

http://literature.usg.com/pdf/SA924.pdf:):smiley:

5/8 type X is required in my area Marcel.

That must be a Jurisdiction Thingy
:slight_smile:

5/8 Type X sheetrock is required full height to roof sheathing on the garage side, and ½" sheetrock on the house side of the garage/house firewall. The garage/house walk door must bear a 20 minute fire label or be a 1-3/8" solid wood door, be self closing, and tight fitting with weather stripping on all four sides. If the garage ceiling is fire rated sheetrock, versus the vertical house/garage wall, the garage/house wall must have 5/8" Type X sheetrock to the ceiling, plus all garage bearing walls supporting roof trusses must also be sheetrocked with 5/8" Type X. This firewall shall extend into any soffit space in line with the fire wall. U.B.C. 302.4 Exception #3. All sheetrock joints and corners must be taped and mudded. Gaps between wood plates and concrete foundations must be caulked to create an air-tight seal.

Was there a U.L. # for that type of fire-rated assembly?

5/8" on one side and 1/2" on the other is not a full 1 hour rated assembly.

**PASS ASTM 119

**Unfortunately, the code creates a bit of a void since it does not specifically address the requirements for applying and fastening the board. This likely stems from the way the language was placed into the IRC. While the concept was a part of the 1995 “CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code”—the predecessor to the IRC—it was never well explained in the code or in the CABO Commentary. When the relevant CABO language was used as the basis for the IRC, it was grafted into the new code without modification. It remains essentially the same to this day.

Because the 2006 IRC Commentary also provides no answers, one is left with an information hole. In that circumstance, the best relief is found in other sections of the code. In this specific instance, the answer is in Chapter 7 of the IRC.

Section R702.3.5. of the 2006 edition of the IRC establishes the general criteria for applying gypsum board to walls and ceilings when it makes reference to Table R702.3.5. of the code. The table, in turn, defines the correct spacing of fasteners and framing members and the proper size and type of fasteners to be used for an application of gypsum board to either wall or ceiling framing members. Because no other criteria exist, it is this table that should be used to guide the applicator when gypsum board is being installed as required by Section R309.2.

While it seems a bit odd to be using the same application requirements for both a common interior wall and a garage wall that is serving as a protective element in a residence, it must be noted that the garage wall is not a part of a fire-resistive assembly. In describing the required garage wall or lid protection, the code makes no reference to a fire test or a fire rating, it simply instructs the applicator to apply a layer of a specific type of gypsum board. The gypsum board has fire resistive attributes, so a measure of protection beyond that created when no surfacing material is applied to the interior of the garage is achieved, but the wall or ceiling is not required to achieve a specific fire resistance rating.

To illustrate the point further, contrast the garage wall and ceiling situation with the specific fire rating required by Section 317 of the IRC. Section 317 defines dwelling unit separation requirements and contains language that specifically establishes required fire ratings for the walls that divide duplex and townhouse dwellings. The wall between duplex units, for example, must have a one-hour rating. The code does not prescribe the construction that is used to obtain the one-hour rating; instead, it requires the system that is used to pass an ASTM E119 test. Any system tested in accordance with E119 and providing the hourly rating mandated can be used as long as it is installed to match the materials and methods used in the tested system described.:slight_smile:

It’s not a 1 hr. system as the door is only required to be 20 minute

Sounds like a Merry Go-Round Huh!:mrgreen:

Doors and frames are always rated for 3/4’s of an hour of the rated assembly, so there you go, it is not a 1 hour rated system.

As Nick said, I think we need to call it a fire separation or Compartment fire and smoke containment. ;):slight_smile: