Attic insulation on the roof?

Originally Posted By: dnoble
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

loose fill on roof ]

[ Image: closeup ]

[ Image: inside attic at soffit ]

Originally Posted By: dedwards

That is cellulose insulation (pulverized newspaper) not fiberglass. The photo of the interior of the attic appears to have a gap or two around the soffit vent that may be where the insulation is coming from rather than out of a downspout. First off I can not figure out how insulation from the attic would find its way into the gutters / downspouts. There is also a thin strip of aluminum lying on the roof behind the bottom of the downspout that matches the material for the flashing (very poorly done btw) next to the soffit vent picture in the attic. This would suggest that this material has been lying on the roof since construction. Cellulose is treated with Boron so it is pretty resilient stuff. It doesn’t decompose normally after it has been treated otherwise a lot of attics would be hugh compost bins. If you can go back and look for a visible gap around the soffit area. Nothing else makes any sense.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Cellulose insulation is typically blown in. To stop it from going down into the sofit a peice of fiberglass batt is often stuffed in just above the top plate to the roof deck. Baffles are installed to allow air movement from the sofit up to a point higher than the insulation level.

The cellulose insulation you see on the roof is likley due to there not being any barrier to stop it when it was installed.

The third pic appears to show a portion of the roof framing with a higher heel. That is probably why they didn't bother putting some blocking in.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Ditto, Dittio,

Marcel

Originally Posted By: dnoble

Thanks guys. It was my thought also that the insulation came from the soffit. But you will see by the photo why i was puzzled. The cellulose that is sitting on the shingles takes the same shape as the water that has come out of the downspout. I would think that any cellulose that had escaped from the soffit would have blown away and not stayed there. I did recommend to the owner that they have the builder come back and check the soffit on that portion of roof.

Originally Posted By: jsieg

One other thing to point out is that the down spout IS NOT suposed to drain on to a roof. Their should be an extension running into the lower gutter. The way it is now will cause the roofing to have a shortened life span.

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

Had a similar situation. The attic was too well vented at the soffits. The wind was picking up the cellulose from the rear of the attic and blowng it out the front soffit. One bedroom in the rear had no insulation left on it, it had been blown to the other side of the attic.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Dale,

It is likely that you saw the insulation on the roof in the pattern you did because it would have stuck to the wet portions created by the downspout. The rest would have just blown away.