Attic stairs and landing

I had a question about landing clearance for attic stairs. Was at a friends house and he installed a 36 in. Wide set of stairs going to the attic space. The bottom of the stairs has a 6” chimney bump out that is within 19” of the bottom riser. Is this considered not to code? The chimney is on the wall to the left As you descend the stairs and he is going to install a door on the right side. Is it an issue with not having a full 36”x36” landing. He is going to finish the attic to be living space as well.

Typically, yes. Can you post pictures?

Pictures would definitely help, but if I understand correctly, a landing might not work for the room you have but a winder stair might work if the door is on the right going down.
Photo of the area would be helpful.

mcyr

[Marcel R. Cyr, CMI](https://forum.nachi.org/u/mcyr)

Certified Master Inspector

November 1

tdoty:
I had a question about landing clearance for attic stairs. Was at a friends house and he installed a 36 in. Wide set of stairs going to the attic space. The bottom of the stairs has a 6” chimney bump out that is within 19” of the bottom riser. Is this considered not to code? The chimney is on the wall to the left As you descend the stairs and he is going to install a door on the right side. Is it an issue with not having a full 36”x36” landing. He is going to finish the attic to be living space as well.

Pictures would definitely help, but if I understand correctly, a landing might not work for the room you have but a winder stair might work if the door is on the right going down.

Photo of the area would be helpful.

Thanks Marcel,

we were thinking the same thing.